We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northeast or Northwest Italy?

Northampton...
2 posts
Save Topic
Northeast or Northwest Italy?

Dear travelers,

My husband and I are planning a 2-week trip to Northern Italy in mid June. The second week will be training along Liguria (coast), but the first will be in a car exploring EITHER northwestern (Piedmont) or northeastern (Trentino-Alto Adige-the Dolomites). I know that the latter is more "on" the beaten track and we don't mind going off it it. We want to see mountains, castles, and, obviously, drink some wine and eat some awesome food. Any recommendations? One over the other? And, finally, what lake do you most recommend? I'm leaning toward Maggiore, but I am WIDE open to your expertise.

Edited: 7:20 pm, April 09, 2013
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Northeast or Northwest Italy?

Northwest.....

Piemonte is logistically more practical with its proximity to Liguria, but if you’re interested in wines and food, certainly Piemonte - Just How Good Can Italy Get?:

www.nytimes.com/2006/10/25/dining/25ital.html

And visit nearby Valle d'Aosta for Italy’s (and Europe’s) highest mountains. Find castles as well....

lovevda.it/turismo/…castelli_chiese_e.asp

Vagabonda

Edited: 7:46 pm, April 09, 2013
Northampton...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northeast or Northwest Italy?

Thank you! Do you think a car is necessary to see the heart of it, or would train travel do the trick?

Thank again!!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Northeast or Northwest Italy?

You very much would appreciate a car so you could enjoy the beautiful countryside and vineyards.

Piedmont vs Umbria:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…46721452

Aosta vs. Como?

tripadvisor.com/…40462681

Vagabonda

4. Re: Northeast or Northwest Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 11, 2014