We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

We will have a car, and probably be driving from Bergamo, and will have 4 nights in the Lake Maggiore area (we have already stayed at Bellagio on Lake Como). The question is: would you recommend we drive firstly to Lake Orta and stay one night there, to enjoy the ambience? And then drive to Maggiore (thinking of Baveno) for the other 3 nights? Or just stay 4 nights at Maggiore and day trip to Lake Orta? We are interested in Villas and gardens and the scenery, of course. The trip will be in late June.

Mentioned in this post
Bergamo
Bergamo
Province of Bergamo, Italy
Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore
Piedmont, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Lake Orta
Lake Orta
1,895 Reviews
Orta San Giulio, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

Hi vicolivia!

It’s really a matter of personal preference – If you don’t mind unpacking and repacking for only one night, you could spend your first night in Orta San Giulio, or you could take a day trip from Baveno to Lake Orta.

Orta San Giulio is an adorable town and you would certainly enjoy the overnight, and the overnight would also provide additional time the following day to complete your explorations if needed, but what you decide would also depend on what you would like to see around Lake Maggiore in your allocated time.

The best -

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Orta San Giulio
Orta San Giulio
Province of Novara, Italy
Lake Orta
Lake Orta
1,895 Reviews
Orta San Giulio, Italy
Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore
Piedmont, Italy
Australia
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

Hi Vagabonda (you were such a terrific help to me about 3 years ago when we planned a trip to Sicily - and we just loved it!). You can see we are still enjoying Italy - thanks for the advice re the Lakes. We don't usually like packing and unpacking for just one night, but I thought the might be enough to do at Orta to justify stopping there for a night, and then moving on to Maggiore. I read that Pettenasco is nice on Orta - what are your thoughts? Would it be easier Orta San Giulio, with the car? I still need to plan the time for Lake Maggiore - and wonder if 3 nights is enough? We have a week from the day we arrive in Pavia (catching the train from the south of France). I am keen to see the Certosa there, and then thought maybe drive up to Bergamo and then the Lakes (we spent time on Lake Como - Bellagio, and in Milan this year). Thank you again. Ciao.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Orta San Giulio
Orta San Giulio
Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore
Piedmont, Italy
Pavia
Pavia
Province of Pavia, Italy
France
France
Europe
Bergamo
Bergamo
Province of Bergamo, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

Prego vicolivia – It’s always my pleasure!

There most certainly is enough to do at Orta to justify stopping for a night - Orta San Giulio is Lake Orta’s gem!!

You would appreciate the car since the train station isn’t conveniently located in town. There’s parking in town, as well as hotel parking depending on your choice of hotels.

And perhaps you would also appreciate an extra day on Lake Maggiore to see and do Stresa’s Isole Borromee, the Lago Maggiore Express, Villa Taranto, the Mottorone funivia....

Places to visit on a return visit to Stresa:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187847-i853-k4593…

Kind regards,

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Orta San Giulio
Orta San Giulio
Lake Orta
Lake Orta
1,895 Reviews
Orta San Giulio, Italy
Lake Maggiore
Lake Maggiore
Piedmont, Italy
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Isole Borromee
Isole Borromee
445 Reviews
Lake Maggiore, Italy
Lago maggiore Express
Lago maggiore Express
85 Reviews
Verbania, Italy
Villa Taranto
Villa Taranto
1,635 Reviews
Verbania, Italy
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,674 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

May be interested in my Milan, Maggiore & Orta report :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g663877-i14128-k…

Have a great stay!

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

don't mean to throw a wrench but have to jump on the stresa bandwagon. stresa was so beautiful it almost put me to tears :-)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

Perhaps of interest....

Stresa or Baveno??:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…23398046

Villa Ruscello is a very charming lakefront accommodation if you decide to stay in Baveno.

http://www.villaruscello.it/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187844-d637286…

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Stresa
Stresa
Lake Maggiore, Italy
7. Re: Advice pls: stay at Orta AND Maggiore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 11, 2014