We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Varenna from Germany

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
Getting to Varenna from Germany

We'll be traveling in October from Karlsruhe Germany to Varenna. People seem to suggest taking the train from Milan to Varenna as opposed to the ferry from Como, but as I looked at the train schedules from Germany, going to Milan is way out of the way. The more direct route seems to be through Basel, Zurich and directly to Como. There doesn't seem to be a train from Como to Varenna. So I guess I'd have to take the ferry. First of all, would people suggest - given that I'm coming from Germany - that we still go through Milan and train to Varenna? Or should we take the train to Como? Secondly, if we arrive in Como late afternoon in late October, how many ferry runs are there from Como to Varenna that time of year?

Thanks for any help any of you familiar with the area are able to give me....

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Varenna from Germany

You can certainly take the boat from Como. Schedules are on navigazionelaghi.it/italia/…indicecomo.htm

Last dep. at 7.10PM.

Or by train you can change in Monza, without going all the way to Milan -- use the German rail website www.bahn.de to figure out your possibilities.

2. Re: Getting to Varenna from Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Varenna