We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

Which Varenna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

I am travelling to Northern Italy in June-early July and my husband only wants to pre book 1 or 2 accommodations and take a chance on booking the rest while there. We will probably have a mix of self catering apartments and hotels. Any suggestions as to what last minute sites (or the like) can be used overseas?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,570 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

www.venere.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

I strongly recommend booking all your accommodation at that time of the year. It is actually pretty unlikely you will get a nice apartment "on spec" as most book out months in advance. I enjoy planning our accommodation to meet our requirements and budget and not having to spend time worrying about whether we will find something or looking at unsuitable or overly expensive places instead of enjoying the holiday.

I think perhaps the days of spontaneous travel in peak season are pretty well gone.

Last September we were booking for France for May/June 2014 and already some places were booked up.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

Do you want to spend your time seeing Italy or trying to find a room for the night? You most valuable commodity in Italy is your time. Yes, you can find a room, but it may not be the room you'd like, in the location you like, or for the price you like.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

Don't do it! On our holiday to Croatia in September 2012 we had 4 one nighters. We thought for a 1 night stay in a place it would be easy to find something. Never again!! It was a pain to look for a place and a big waste of time. I made a promise to myself to never do it again, no matter what time of year or what country we visit. A lesson learnt.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

Hi, as your posting on the Varenna forum I'm assuming you want to stay there, if that's the case I would definitely book as Varenna is a very small place with limited accommodation.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

In years gone bye, last minute bookings for rooms was not a problem. That is not the case these days because Italy has become so popular and even in months that use to be shoulder season (like May), these now are considered peak season in Italy.

Definitely agree with others, its not worth the stress or your precious time in Italy trying to find a place.

We have been recently looking (March & now April) for reservations in May (less than a month away now) and are surprised at how hotels, B & Bs, and rooms in cities (Varenna, Veranazza, Florence and Siena) that are already booked.

Good luck on your decision on where to stay...know its always a relief once we have our accommodations booked and we can then just spend time reading up on things to do in various places we will be traveling.

We are counting the days until we are sitting on the plane to Milan. Enjoy your travels!

TravelnMom

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

Thank you for your reply. My husband is still adamant that we wont have issues booking.... not my thoughts at all so our compromise has been to book some of our accommodations and hope for the best with the rest! I hope you have an enjoyable time on your travels, thanks again for taking the time to respond.

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

Please let us know how it works out

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

Compromise is a good thing!

10. Re: Accommodation - to book or not to book (Italy)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 08, 2015