We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Bergamo to Varenna and back from Varenna ??

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from Bergamo to Varenna and back from Varenna ??

Can anyone advise how I can obtain timetables and if I need tickets pre booked to go by train to Varenna in July this year? We will be cutting it fine to get back to Orio airport which is the smaller one near Bergamo that is only accessible by bus and the return is on a saturday with a 9am flight for one of us back to Birmingham and I have to cotinue on from Lecca down thru Milan to Genoa by 11 am!! Can it be done??? I gather there are local trains and intercity trains so we need to make sure of the timetables/ connections etc...Help!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Bergamo to Varenna and back from Varenna ??

Go to www.trenitalia.com click on the UK flag to get English and look for the journeys you want.

I don't think it will be possible to get from Varenna to Bergamo airport in time for a 09.00 flight. The passenger should be at the airport by 07.00. The first train leaves Varenna at 05.36 and arrives at Bergamo train station at 07.15.

You can get from Varenna to Genoa, changing at Milan Central, by 08.42.

The trains between Bergamo and Varenna, and from Varenna to Milan, are local (Regionale) trains. There is no point trying to buy tickets for these trains in advance over the Internet. These trains have no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts.

Between Milan and Genoa, you use an InterCity train. You could make some small savings by buying in advance, but it is probably easier to buy in Milan. You will have plenty of time, as this is usually not a tight connection.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Bergamo to Varenna and back from Varenna ??

Thanks so much NIck!! all sorted! great advice!!

3. Re: Trains from Bergamo to Varenna and back from Varenna ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Varenna