We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varenna or Bellagio in late March?

KY
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Varenna or Bellagio in late March?

I'm flying into Milan on March 24 and prefer to stay in a smaller, more scenic location, so I'm considering Varenna or Bellagio for two nights. However, I notice most of the hotels in Varenna are still closed. Will everything be closed? Would Bellagio be better choice that time of year? I realize I have to catch the ferry in addition to the train to get to Bellagio.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,569 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varenna or Bellagio in late March?

I would say either is fine. If you stay in either, then you will almost certainly want to take the ferry for an afternoon in the other town. My impression is that Bellagio is a bit more attractive town, Varenna is a bit quieter and laid back. Either will offer the same wonderful scenery. I don't know about the hotel schedules, but I would try Venere.com in December or January, or perhaps now.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varenna or Bellagio in late March?

Bellagio will have more open but the season starts at Easter so expect it to be pretty quiet.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Varenna or Bellagio in late March?

Excelsior Splendide, Fioroni, Il Perlo and Suisse in Bellagio are open for sure in March

Holmdel, N.J.
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varenna or Bellagio in late March?

We spent the last week of Oct in Lake Como. IMO Bellagio would be the better choice.....it's a prettier place off season than Varenna...you'll find more restaurants open & more people out & about.....Varenna was very quiet & not a lot going on when we visited.

5. Re: Varenna or Bellagio in late March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, December 16, 2013