We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

northport
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

Any suggestions on a town to visit for a half day trip from Como?

We will be there in September for just a few days and would like to squeeze in a short trip over the border.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

Bellinzona would be easy to get to. This is a town in Switzerland which has three castles and is surrounded by mountains. Or you could visit Locarno which is on the Swiss end of lake Maggiore.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

Lugano is a nice town and not far from Como.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

Lugano is lovely and easily reached in half an hour!

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Vagabonda

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

If you want to enjoy the Swiss mountain landscape from Bellinzona you can also take a bus to San Bernardino, a small village 1600m a.s.l. in the Alps.

Or the cog railway to the top of Monte Generoso, leaving regularly from Capolago, south lake Lugano www.montegeneroso.ch

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

If you’d like a real Swiss village mountain experience, visit Soglio.

Menaggio to Solgio (day trip) without car... possible?:

tripadvisor.com/…41435238

Vagabonda

Edited: 6:00 am, August 28, 2012
Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
195 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

I will be in Como Sept 17 to 27th. I like Lugano which is not far by train from Como. A few years ago I went to Lucerne, Switz by train for from Como. I took the boat up Lake Lucerne and stopped at a little city on the west side of the lake and took a cog railway up to about 9,000 feet with the 14,000 foot mountains in the distance. Beautiful! I stayed one night in Lucerne.

Ciao,

TomS

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

This is more of an all-day suggestion than a half-day outing but just in case you decide you're up for it:

I haven't taken this trip yet (leaving for Lake Como next week) but I'm looking forward to hiking around Soglio, Switzerland - very scenic! I'll be getting there (if all goes well) by hopping the train from Varenna to Chiavenna and taking a bus to Soglio from there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k1673…

(I did notice that the weather in Soglio can be quite unpredictable, snowing one day, sunny and warm the next, so take care to follow local weather reports if you do decide to go)

Good luck.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,957 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

Soglio was lovely last month - Yes the weather can change rapidly as is usually the case with mountainous areas, but the town is charming and the trail and views are very beautiful!

However, Switzerland is very expensive!

Vagabonda

9. Re: From Como to a nearby town in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 15, 2013