We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying Near Como

Wheaton, IL
2 posts
Save Topic
Staying Near Como

Hello. I am staying outside of Como in a town called Carimate. There's a nice Castle Hotel here that my wife and I stayed at before. We really enjoyed it and decided to make it our base for checking out parts of Northern Italy.

We plan on doing some day trips. One day we will check out Lake Como and another day we plan on going up to Lucern.

One of the day trips we plan on doing is Venice. Sure, it's not the best way to see Venice but I just want to see one day's worth. I know there's a lot of driving to and fro for a day trip but we really don't want to spend the night around there. Would it be better to drive or take the train? My main concern is the train back since I don't know when the last train departs.

On a weekday, if we take the train to Venice from Como, how early can we leave? And what's the latest return train? The later the better. I know you aren't the train's time keeper but any help or opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying Near Como

You may be able to find the information you are looking for on: raileurope.com

From Lake Como, I believe you will have to go to Milan and then catch a train to Venice. This website will give you the train schedules to and from Como to Milan and Milan to Venice and also the return times. Hope this helps and have a great holiday!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying Near Como

trenitalia.it has a lot of train times on. When I checked for someone else the last train to Como left Milan at about 11 and got in around midnight. You should be able to see the trains from Venice to Como on there.

There are 2 stations for 2 train companies, the Trenitalia one is a quarter mile behind the town, the FerovieNord one is on the lake shore.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying Near Como

Please check all this out with your advisors or when you arrive but it seems that Carimate is about 5 miles south of Como (Mapquest). There is a rail station and the trip to Venice, change at Como takes 5 hours.

Coming back there is a train at 1851 change twice in Milan and arrive Carimate 2311. There is a later one 1951 change once in Milan arrive 0110. The times may be different when you go.

It took me over 5 hours to drive from Como to Lake Garda and Venice is further.