We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel around the lakes (and a little moan)

Which Como hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel around the lakes (and a little moan)

Peoples - I need your help again. I thought I had my holiday mapped, planned and waiting in a folder but I have fallen out with our car hire firm and am thinking of changing from car travel to train travel.After our recent holiday in Umbria, Hertz decided to take another 60 euros from our credit card on our return home even though we had not had an accident and noone had bothered to take us to our car on either arrival or departure. I have tried arguing with them but you know what these companies are like - you are on a hiding to nothing.

so at a serious risk off cutting my nose off to spite my face should I tell Hertz to naff off this time or just give them more of my cash for SCDW. (mmmm. a company rips you off - what do you do? give them more money!)

We are 2 nights at Bellagio, 2 nights at Como and 3 nights at Stresa (well Isloa Pescatore)

I have been on Trenitalia and I can see that Bergamo to como is about 1 hours 30 mins on train. Is it then easy enough to get from train station to the ferry station to get to Bellagio?

Como to Stresa is about 2hours 20 and then Stresa to Bergamo is about 2hours 40. Both these journeys change at Milano Centrale - has anyone ever done this? is is stressful?

It certainly seems an option worth considering, Having read about what the lake roads are like, how extortionate Parking fees are at hotels (when did this tax become legal by the way?),plus savings on tolls and petrol. But would we then spend half our holiday waiting for trains and ferries?

Hope you can help. You have a week to get your answers in! Thanks

us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel around the lakes (and a little moan)

Oh sure, save stress on yourself and the local drivers by using the train. Consider training Bergamo to Varenna instead of Como which is a MUCH shorter ferry ride to Bellagio. But maybe not worth it if you have to change stations in Milan which can be far apart... Varenna is on a totaly different rail line than Como.

If you do land in Como, it also has 2 totally different rail lines ending up in very different parts of the town. One (the "north" one, that is actually northeast?) is right by the lake, and you'd have a short walk along the shore to the left for a ferry. The other is way west and a bit inland, but still manageable. That is a long, but scenic ferry ride.

Milan central is huge but very manageable. Only drawback is the far walk to the cathedral area, which I often try to visit by scheduling a break between trains (look for me running in the rain with luggage!). You will be lucky if you don't have to change to different stations across Milan. Maybe there are bus runs to the lakes also.

The ferry schedules are normally on the web, although I can't find the Maggiore ones now. Sometimes the German train web site shows more than the Italian one about exact options and connections (even tells you where to walk in english to make connection)

us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel around the lakes (and a little moan)

P.S. the concern about ferry isn't just the length of travel but possibly low frequency of direct routes, depending on time of arrival. Varenna ferry is very frequent.

us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel around the lakes (and a little moan)

P.P.S. Meant to add that you can look on the ferry and sometimes even the train as a plus rather than utilitarian necessity. Just try to look up the exact times ahead and make use of any little waiting times by wandering around or snacking. I intentionally lengthened my trip to airport by using that long ferry run; locals thought I was crazy to time it that close but it gave me a great scenic tour that I didn't have time for otherwise.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel around the lakes (and a little moan)

Thanks so much Daft. That is a big help. Yes the train time and the ferry time with the Varenna connection is much shorter. You wouldn't have the web address of that german train site would you? I have managed to get some ferry timetables from the web and they seem quite plentiful - but yes it would be a good idea to plan drink/food breaks around the waiting. (as if we need an excuse!) cheers for your input.

jean

us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel around the lakes (and a little moan)

I use http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e which has lots of options, like drawing stick fugures of your routes and hotel reservations