We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

Are there rental cars in Bellagio or Varenna and can you drive them across the border to Lugano, Switzerland?

1. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:37 am, March 24, 2006
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

Do these smart cars have room for luggage and it is possible to rent in Bellagio and return car at Malpensa airport? I believe that I read on Trip Advisor, the road from Como to Bellagio is dangerous with many curves and poor visability. What is your opinion of this drive?

3. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:37 am, March 24, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

It doesn't really make sense to rent a car only for this short stretch. There are frequent buses from Menaggio to Lugano and Menaggio is connected by ferries to both Bellagio and Varenna. The buses have enough place for luggage below as far as I have seen. It's another thing if you want to explore the mountain villages above the saddle that leads from Menaggio to Lugano - there you would need a car.

A more scenic way (but far longer) to get to Lugano is a hydrofoil to Como and a short train ride (40 min) from there to Lugano.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

Thank You for your advise on rental cars. We are staying 3 nights in Bellagio - Fri we will be traveling from Venice and arriving before dinner and Monday we have a 12:00 pm flight, so we really only have two days to spend on Lake Como. I thought it might be fun to have lunch in Switzerland and I hear Lugano is a great little town. I was advised that on Sundays most everything in Lugano is closed, so if we go we should go on Sat. Then on Sun. we can go on a boat ride to explore the lake. I was trying to make the most of our time there and avoid the 150-200E ($250 US dollars) to get to the airport by private auto. With that rate, it sounded better just to rent a car and be able to optomize our time. Now that doesn't sound very practical. The Malpensa Express is an option and I looked into taking a bus from Varenna, but I was informed that it goes to the airport only one time in the late afternoon. Are there buses from Menaggio to Malpensa? The website is difficult to undersztand not knowing Italian. Relying on ferry boats and train transfers to get us to the airport on time might be too risky, so maybe a prviate taxi is the way to go. What would be your suggestion?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

>Relying on ferry boats and train transfers to get us to the airport on time might be too risky, so maybe a prviate taxi is the way to go.

Why should it be less risky? Traffic jams are not unknown in Italy as well (and this is an understatement).

"By bus:

Line C250 from Malpensa airport to Como, from Como line C10 to Menaggio

For timetables consult www.sptcomo.it Travel time approx. 2 hours

By train from Malpensa Airport:

From Malpensa airport you take the Malpensa express as far as Saronno (one course every 30 minutes, travel time 20 minutes). Here you change and take the train to Como (travel time 40 minutes). For the train times you can consult www.ferrovienord.it You arrive at the station Como Lago. From here you can take bus line C10 to Menaggio (travel time 1.10 hr.) For the timetable you can consult www.sptcomo.it. From Como you can also take the hydrofoil to Menaggio (travel time 0.50 minutes). The boat dock is 100 m from the train station Como Lago For the timetable consult www.navigazionelaghi.it"

(from http://www.hotelsmenaggiolagocomo.it/eng/how_to_reach_us.htm)

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

irridescent,

Summer of 2004 my wife and I took a bus to Lake Lugano from Mennagio. The road was very curvey, and narrow. I was very happy not be be the one driving. If you do go to Lugano, I recommend the bus, that being said, if I had to do it again, I would have stayed around Lake Como.

Rick

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

Dear Wishful Travler, We have an option to go by hydrofoil to Como and take a scenic train to Lugano, we only have 2 full days in Bellagio on Lake Como. Would you forego the chance to explore Switzerland if we know it's unlikely we will be back anytime soon?

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

Have you thought about staying in Lugano instead of Bellagio, and taking a day trip to Lake Como? There is an express bus service from Lugano to Malpensa and I believe it operates at least hourly and takes about an hour to get there.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
285 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there Rental Cars in Bellagio to drive to Lugano...

We have already made our reservation in Bellagio and want to see Lake Como. I thought a day trip to Lugano might give us a small taste of Switzerland while we are there. We are already staying in 5 different cities and that is the max we want to pack and unpack on this trip.