We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Validating train ticket at Varenna

jaipur
Level Contributor
226 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Validating train ticket at Varenna

Hi, We are planning a day trip to Lake Como from Milan.mid October. We plan to board from Cadorna to Como lago-ferry to Bellagio - Varenna and return from Varenna to Milan Central since we are staying close to central. If I buy a ticket from Milan Central to board From Varenna back to Milan how do I validate the tickets since there is no ticket office in Varenna? Should I book the tickets in advance online? What happens if the ferries are overcrowded? Would there be another boat at the same time? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,926 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

The ferries will not be overcrowded in mid-October.

There are boxes on a pole (either orange or green) that you insert your ticket into to validate it. Just buy the ticket in Milan, no need to book online.

jaipur
Level Contributor
226 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

Thank you. Is the climb from ferry to train station very steep? How much time would it take? Slightly dodgy knee makes climbs rather difficult.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,200 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

The machine is usually dysfunctional in Varenna - tripadvisor.com/…50624990

Vagabonda

Edited: 10:53 am, September 19, 2013
NY
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

When I was there a year ago, there were two validation machines, one on the platform and one inside the waiting room (not a ticket office), but neither worked.

Before boarding the train I wrote the date (in European format) and time on the ticket and it was OK with the conductor. It is very handy to buy your ticket for the return in Milan.

The walk up from the ferry is a little work esp if you have a lot of luggage, but quite doable. Just take your time.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

As you board the train there will be the conductor on the platform waiting until everyone gets on if you can't stamp the ticket and you're near him let him know.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,384 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

If you can't validate the ticket because the machines are broken, go get the conductor as soon as the train leaves (he/she will usually be in the front car). The conductor will validate the ticket for you. Waiting for him to show up would be interpreted as an attempt to dodge the fare, with consequent stiff penalty.

jaipur
Level Contributor
226 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

Thank you for the replies. Will buy ticket for return at Milan itself. Seems rather unfair to penalise a traveller holding a valid ticket, just because the machine is broken down. Does one really have to run up and down the train searching for the conductor to validate tickets? Hope the authorities wake up and repair the machines, Como being such a top tourist destination

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,384 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

""Seems rather unfair to penalise a traveller holding a valid ticket, just because the machine is broken down.""

Sorry, but you missed the point. Regional train tickets are only valid after stamping. If your ticket is unstamped, you could reuseit later for another journey on the same route (paper tickets are good for 60 days after issuance). Hence the fuine if you are cuaght traveling on an unstamped ticket.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

Varenna is not a busy station, and I suspect that the local services through it run at a significant loss. Repairing or replacing its ticket validation machine will not be high on Trenitalia's priorities.

Turin
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Validating train ticket at Varenna

Como is a top tourist destination? The small city near the lake where retired germans and rich milanese families have their week-end houses? I know it's really nice, but I would have never imagined It was considered as a TOP place to visit.

FF is it so crowded from tourists these days? Do milanese still go there?