We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Bellagio, Varenna and Tremezzo and Hotels

Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Bellagio, Varenna and Tremezzo and Hotels

Hi Everyone.

So I have narrowed down my search of hotels to 3 but I am having trouble deciding between the 3 now. First there is Hotel Belvidere in Bellagio. It has a heated pool and that is a plus because we are coming in May and expect pool would be too cool without heating. Has anyone been here in May... will it still be too cold for the pool? Does the pool heat it well or is it still very cool? It seems like this is close to everything so it would be good to be able to have choices of restaurants but I am concerned it might be too touristy? The hotel isn't cheap either.

Next is the Grand Hotel Tremezzo. It is pricey but looks beautiful and has several heated pools. Again - anyone use the pools... are they nice? It looks like we might be kind of stuck when it comes to dining in the evening or any night life in Tremezzo. Is it worth it to be at this hotel?

Last choice is quite different is Hotel du Lac in Varenna. It is much cheaper. Varenna would make it easy to take train and not have to lug our luggage around on ferry, etc. It looks Varenna has more to offer than Tremezzo but less than Bellagio. It look like nice place with nice view. Varenna seems to be nice Italian town and less touristy but still has some stuff to do.

Which one of these locations would have the better view? Which has a better view? Any info you can provide would be great. It will be me and my husband for 3 nights. We probably will arrive by train but might rent car as we leave to head to Tuscany. We want to relax and enjoy the beautiful view.

Mentioned in this post
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
1,175 Reviews
Tremezzina, Italy
Hotel Du Lac
Hotel Du Lac
859 Reviews
Bellagio, Italy
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Hotel Europa
Hotel Europa
#1 of 1 hotels in Sorico
Hotel La Perla
Hotel La Perla
#1 of 8 hotels in Tremezzina
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
Grand Hotel Tremezzo
#2 of 8 hotels in Tremezzina
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,727 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Bellagio, Varenna and Tremezzo and Hotels

We stayed at Hotel Olivedo in Varenna in May of this year. We arrived by train and took taxi for the trip down the hill to the water where Olivedo sits.

According to worldweatheronline.com, the average high in May for Varenna and the area is about 71 F, and the average low is about 56. Another site gave cooler temperatures. May is in the top 3 of the rainiest months in Varenna and the area.

We had a lot of rain while in Varenna, and everywhere else we went in Italy this year. We had more rain during our 21 day trip than we had in our previous 6 trips of 21 days combined. Just a rainy spring this year.

Varenna sits very near the Y in the lake, and thus has a wider area toward the west to view sunsets. Using the ferries to get around it was very easy to go to Mennagio, Villa Carlotta, Bellagio, etc., and we took one day to go down to Como.

If you'd like, you can go to www.fuzzytravel.com/jerryott2 to read the blog I wrote while in Italy and see some pictures of Lake Como, Varenna, and Bellagio. The sunset pictures after it rained were taken about due west from a restaurant in Varenna

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Olivedo
Hotel Olivedo
780 Reviews
Varenna, Italy
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Villa Carlotta
Villa Carlotta
2,731 Reviews
Tremezzina, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Bellagio, Varenna and Tremezzo and Hotels

My sister recommended the Du Lac in Varenna. We couldn't get 6 NTS but visited 2 days ago anyway to have a look around. Varenna is my fave town and the Du Lac my fave hotel. We prefer small boutique hotels to the larger, tourist hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Du Lac
Hotel Du Lac
859 Reviews
Bellagio, Italy
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Bellagio, Varenna and Tremezzo and Hotels

thanks for your info.

4. Re: Questions about Bellagio, Varenna and Tremezzo and Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 07, 2014