We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time in como - what town to stay in?

oregon
7 posts
Save Topic
first time in como - what town to stay in?

Hi - My husband and I are planning our first trip to Lake Como and are wondering which town would be the best to stay in. This is our 3rd anniversay and are both 34 - so we are looking for a town that has a lot to see and do, and of course, great shopping. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

1. Re: first time in como - what town to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:34 pm, April 30, 2005
Arbroath, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: first time in como - what town to stay in?

Hi There

I would recommend you stay in Como city itself too, it's a great base. I go out there twice a year to visit my sister and I always have a great time. There is a lot to do, cafe bars, trips up the lake, lovely shops and a great market on a Tuesday and Saturday. Plus only 15 mins drive from the Swiss border, a day trip to Lake Lugano is a must.

Hope you enjoy your holiday, I'm off again at the end of march.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time in como - what town to stay in?

I agree, stay in the town of Como itself - lots to do and see and quite a lot of shopping. But if there is not enough shopping for you take the train to Milan (only 40-60 mins depending on whether fast or slow train) - there should be enough shopping there for anyone.

But do take some time to do trips on the lake. Definitely spend some time in Bellagio - it has quite a lot of cute arty, touristy shops and some good restaurants - I would recommend eating at the Hotel Florence. You don't say what time of year you are going. If it is in the summer they set up tables along the edge of the lake - very romantic in the evening.

Another shopping option would be to go to Lugano (but don't make the mistake I made and assume they have euros - need to have Swiss Francs in Switzerland). Assume you can probably get a train from Como, but if you are in Menaggio you can get a bus - cheap and takes less than an hour. Lots of shopping there, particularly if you like watches and chocolate.

Have a great trip ... only 3 weeks to when I'm back there.

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time in como - what town to stay in?

I agree with the others, definitely stay in Como itself. And if Como doesn't provide the shopping you want, Milan is a short train journey away.

But do take a trip up the lake. If you have the time I would recommend spending a day in Bellagio which has some cute shops and excellent restaurants (particularly Hotel Florence). And if you go to Menaggio you can catch the bus to Lugano (but you will need Swiss Francs to shop there).

Arbroath, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: first time in como - what town to stay in?

Hiya

Yes you can get a train from Como to LUGANO. You need to go to the main station though, you will get your passports checked when the train stops at the border. Alot of Lugano does take Euros, but beware because you get your change back in Francs, so try and use small notes.