We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice, Lake Como, Bologna

new jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Venice, Lake Como, Bologna

My wife and I will be in Venice this July. Planning a trip to Verona for 1 night, Lake Como for 3 nights, Bologna for 2 nights, then back to Venice for flight home. Would you take the train or rent a car and drive?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,560 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice, Lake Como, Bologna

Have you already purchased your air tickets? It would be easier for you to fly in or out of Milan on one leg of your trip.

You do not have to have a car for Lake Como, but it is nice to get out and about. Thar can also be done by water. Are you staying in Como or Bellagio?

If you have short time in Bologna, that can be spent in the city. There are several places near by, like Modena,,Parma and Ferrara, that are well worth the time to visit.

You could also stop in Verona for the day between Venice and Como. This would omit a 1 night hotel stay and add it somewhere else. It is difficult to keep moving around. Also, luggage is a factor. Do you just put it in the car or carry it off and on the trains?

It might help you to determine what you want to do in each location. That could determine if you need a car or use the rails.

Italy
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice, Lake Como, Bologna

As the majority of these cities close their centers to auto traffic (unless you have a permit), I think that you'd find life much less complicated if you took the train.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice, Lake Como, Bologna

Jerlou, why Como ? Lake Garda is much more convenient from Verona and equally as picturesque and also more accessible by public transport.

Also why Bologna ? Padua has much more to offer and on the same rail link to and from Venice.

I am worried that you are hoping to find acommodation at this short notice !

Anyway no need for car hire, they are simply a liability in this integrated transport country.

Bob.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice, Lake Como, Bologna

I would definitely rent a car and while in Verona take a side trip to Asolo and Asiago. If you do drive from Verona to Como you might stop for lunch in Sirmione at the foot of Lake Garda. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but you will know it when you see it sittinover the water. I have never stayed on Garda, but Lake Como is FINE. Bellagio, especially.

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice, Lake Como, Bologna

I would use public transport if at all possible as Italy has a super bus and rail service that is intergrated and very frequent and also, extremly reasonable.

Venice is superb and well worth a visit, as is Verona, but I would also suggest Vicenza which is very interesting. I also think Bologna is superb, but would warn against trying to see too much as you could spend most of your time on the train or bus and end up seeing everything yet nothing. Italy is a fascinating country with so much to see that it would be a shame to rush it.

Remember that its high season and all the tourist spots will be more expensive, so if you do choose Lake Como choose somewhere less full of tourists as it will be more natural and much less expensive. I know everyone will suggest Bellagio because it is beatiful and located well, but it is also very busy and expensive and can be see in a day. Try somewhere like Gravedona and hotel La Villa further north on the lake and travel to all those tourist places by boat or hydrofoil. Very romantic and enjoyable.

Whatever you do, have a great time.

6. Re: Venice, Lake Como, Bologna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, December 15, 2009