We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from malpensa airport to lake como and best towns

1 post
Save Topic
Getting from malpensa airport to lake como and best towns

My daughter and I are taking a last minute trip to Europe. We'll land in Milano italy next Monday about 12:30 pm and want to go from malpensa airport to lake como for our first 3 nights. We're looking at staying in Varenna or Bellagio but would appreciate feedback for best places to stay without a car and easiest way to get there from the airport as well as how long we should expect the trip to take from the airport. We're new to train travel and I'm nervous about figuring it out with speaking only English. My daughter will enjoy hiking but I'm more limited on how long I can hike/walk. I've read some towns are easily managed without a car and some aren't. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Milano
Milano
580 Reviews
Jesolo, Italy
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
3 replies to this topic
Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from malpensa airport to lake como and best towns

There is a thread on this forum - 'New Direct Link. ... '. It is about training directly from Malpensa to Como town. Right now that thread is on page 2of this forum.

Mentioned in this post
Malpensa Airport
Malpensa Airport
Ferno, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,705 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from malpensa airport to lake como and best towns

The OP wants to get to Varenna or Bellagio, so it would not make sense to take a train to Como.

Varenna and Bellagio are both lovely places, and you would not need a car when staying there as there are useful ferry services. Take a train from Malpensa to Milan Central, and change there for a train to Varenna.

Train stations have departure screens, similar to those at airports. These show the departure time, the train number (on your ticket for all fast trains), the final destination (which may be beyond where you are going to), and the platform (binario) that will be used. You do not need to speak Italian.

Mentioned in this post
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Malpensa Airport
Malpensa Airport
Ferno, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,027 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from malpensa airport to lake como and best towns

sydneynick's advice is good. You could go to Como and take a ferry up the lake to Bellagio and Varenna, but if it were me I'd just want to get to where I was staying and leave a pleasant lake cruise until I've got rid of my luggage.

So it would be train to Milano Centrale and then another to Varenna for me.

Mentioned in this post
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Milano Centrale
Milano Centrale