We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cremona

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,232 posts
51 reviews
Cremona

Where's the love? I dont see much talk about this gem here except for the occasional question by a violin loving family. Nor did I see many tourists when we visited

In fact there was a moment at the Duomo where we had it all to ourselves. The most underrated Duomo I've seen, and right up there with Modena and Parma IMHO. The bell tower is climbable (over 500 steps) and the baptistery is worth a peek

The city seems extremely bike friendly. For a New Yorker like me watching older folk ride bikes is as fascinating as seeing attractive women collecting garbage (i forget where I've seen it, maybe Portugal)

The city is one of the cleanest cities I've seen. While I dont mind some dirt here and there, its almost impossible not to notice and in a way refreshing for a large Italian city

Its like a violin Disney World. Workshops, Violin Museum, statues, violins featured everywhere. Quite remarkable how that connection is intact for 500 years. You can make an appointment with a violin or bow maker or just walk into any of the workshops looks like

If you happen to visit, for a light lunch I recommend the Tramezzini at Ugo grill. Terrific little crustless sandwiches, very popular with the locals

BTW, having virtually almost no tourists, dont expect many gift shops selling Limoncello in a shape of a boot. In fact the entire town shuts down for lunch. A good time to visit the Violin Museum

For a large town, we found it sleepy, serene and quite beautiful. A nice stop and a detour when you travel through the regions

Italy
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Cremona

I'm glad you enjoyed Cremona.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
2. Re: Cremona

I had the same reaction. Guidebooks at best seem to recommend it as a day trip or quick stop but I spent three days in Cremona and loved it. Not extensive sightseeing, but a very charming city.

Italy
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Cremona

Well, I am not sure how can Cremona be described as a large city, it is actually very tiny, as a city.

If you visit on a Saturday, say in September, Cremona is chock-a-block with people and tourists, and most liut-maker wokshops will be closed.

Ziggy, I am surprised you mention Limoncello (even taking into account your famous sense of humour) as I was under the impression you knew the nuances of regional products in Italy.

Also, Ziggy, sorry for saying this... I think that saying that Cremona is like a violin Disney World is terribly far from reality, a non-description, misleading and downright (potentially) offensive... bearing in mind people might not be equipped with senseof humour, as it is not mandatory. Any Italian medieval city in Italy is the opposite of anything Disneyland. I think there is enough people who visit foreign countries and think they are going to a theme park, no need to add to this nonsense.

I am actually sure you understand this point of view...

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,232 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Cremona

All fair points Maigret. I think there's a little language issue here and/or differences with the way what I wrote can be perceived. Or just the wrong choice of words, or examples.

I hesitated before I wrote "large city" to be honest, though driving through the modern part and into the old town felt like I'm driving inside a largish city. perhaps not nearly as large as Milan, and perhaps because this visit came after we had 4 days of nothing but small villages

Limoncello is not only the first thing that comes to mind, but its just about the first thing we see when we go to any gift store in Italy whether its Sorrento or Bologna. We see plenty of those boots in the north. Surely they sell them in Milan no? when was the last time you entered one of those ;)

Disney World - meaning in this case "Theme" without the "Park". Just like people say that Barolo and Montalcino are like Disney for wine lovers. Perhaps the wrong choice of words but Ive seen it being used as such. And considering what I wrote about how quiet and serene it felt, the meaning should not be taken literally

5. Re: Cremona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:18 pm, November 26, 2014
6. Re: Cremona

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

7. Re: Cremona

Italy
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Cremona

Thank you Ziggy and Tabata.

Ziggy, I knew you d understand. In turn I understand your point of view and there are language subtleties as well. I did get you were positive about Cremona, just the Disney think made me shiver.

Oh, I do visit gift shops and was under the hopeful impression limoncello was in the decline, but might be wrong.

I was in Cremona very recently and found it very pedestrian and cyclist friendly, very lively and crowded (market day). I also found it is very clean. We mostly noticed lots of mostarda and torrone but couldn t make much of it - fresh production is in October and would not want to buy a stock of old yummy stuff. We stayed in a nice inn 5 km from Cremona, la locanda al carrobbio (that I reviewed but in Italian...) with good food and perfect accomodation.

Never mind my post was removed... my sense of humour might be lacking (working on it) but have a terrific memory and will remembered what I wrote dormyears to come... I too believe the removing- post system is somewhat strange.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Cremona

Maigret, next year you should go to Cremona during "festa del torrone" a feast for your taste.

Nowadays torrone is made year round and industrial mostarda too, but local producers make mostarda only in season and therefore fruits aren't mix.

Italy
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
36 reviews
10. Re: Cremona

Yes. Tabata, festa del torrone is on my list of things to do in Cremona. We actually did buy some sampling of torrone and mostarda, even if supposedly "old" and it was good. We were pleasantly surprised that shopkeepers were actually telling us not to buy - better wait for October fresh stock. Very kind of them. Thanks and ciao.

Get answers to your questions about Cremona