We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cremona on a Sunday

Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 posts
Cremona on a Sunday

I would like to go to Cremona; however, I cannot go unless it is a Sunday. Are the violin shops closed on Sundays? I am a violinist and would love to see the museum and violin-making shops. Would it be a waste to go on a Sunday?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Cremona on a Sunday

There is a collection of string instruments at the Palazzo Comunale and then there is the City Museum/Stradivari Museum (housing artwork and also string instruments and items from Stradivari's workshop. They are separate buildings but you can walk from one to the other. Here is a link to the information on those and several other Cremona museums:

…cremona.it/PostCE-display-ceid-14.phtml

Based on the information on the above website, it looks like they are open on Sundays. I do not know about the violin shops. I would search Cremona violin makers or shops and email any that I could find information on.

Also, if it is available on Sundays, you may want to prepurchase a ticket to listen to someone play one of the instruments from the Palazzo Comunale collection. It is a very short performance, possibly only a few minutes. The previous link has information on that. When I was there last summer, we were fortunate to see the older gentleman in this youtube video play:

m.youtube.com/#/watch…

I hope you are able to visit!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 posts
2. Re: Cremona on a Sunday

Thank you for your response. Do you think that it would be worth going to on Sunday even if we cannot see the violin shops? I was told by many of the violin makers that the violin shops are closed. This may be my only free weekend to go so I would really like to go but I'm not sure if it is worth it if the violin shops are closed.

Taipei, Taiwan
1 post
3. Re: Cremona on a Sunday

I will visit cremona on sunday, so did you go on sunday?

how's going over there?

thanks.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
603 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Cremona on a Sunday

We were in Cremona last month (on a Monday) and learned that the instrument collection at the Palazzo Communale has been moved to the new Violin Museum a few short blocks away. Unfortunately, Monday is the new Museum's closing day. We also arrived at the Duomo just in time to have the door closed on us for the midday break.

Vabene, if you crave to hear Strads played, presumably you know about the Smithsonian concerts in DC using Strads from its collection as well as other great instruments of the period. I believe the next one is next Sunday, Nov. 3. (We opted this year for the Emerson Quartet series, also at the Smithsonian, which inexplicably is scheduled this year to compete head-to-head with two of the three "house quartet" concerts.)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
120 reviews
5. Re: Cremona on a Sunday

Cremona is very very quiet on a Sunday. Nearly all shops are closed. Maybe this is only in January?

6. Re: Cremona on a Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Cremona