We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

Warsaw, Warszawa...
1 post
1 review
AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

This is to warn everybody that Ecovia (a partner to Atlaschoice) is cheating their clients. We returned the rented car to Bergamo airport with empty methane tank (the Seat leon had 2 tanks one methane and one gasoline). During the rental period we filled it many times and full tank of methane was only 15 kgs, which represents the cost of approx. 15 euros. Ecovia managed to fit in three times more and charged 47 EUR plus the cost of refueling, of 25 euros (instead of 30 euros as per contract).

Secondly in the contract there were a couple of additional costs not included in the price, hidden somewhere at the bottom of the contract, between items you do not consider relevant to you, which resulted in significantly higher cost than originally assumed.

Finally they were the only company who did not have their representative in the car hire parking so if there is anything wrong with your car or you want to have it checked on return you have to run to the airport to ask the representative to assist you to the parking and it all takes ages.

I am totally disappointed with this company, they cheated on me and I want to discourage everybody from using them.

Barbara

32 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,934 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

Future car rental www.autoeurope.com

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
2. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

Completely agreed! I had a similarly miserable experience where I was charged a full-days rental for being 45 minutes late. When I agreed to pay a late fee but complained a full day extra was exorbitant, the attendant waived the contract in my face, as if it absolved him from providing a valued customer experience. When I told him his behaviour would drive my business elsewhere, he told me 'that's fine- plenty of others will come instead'.

Don't give them the satisfaction. This business is rooted in dishonest practices- I would highly recommend you rent your cars elsewhere

CA
Level Contributor
11,456 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

The reason for using Autoeurope, which we contact using a toll free number, is that they are a broker working only with major companies. Use any mickey mouse outfit you ask for trouble.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,735 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

If the fee for late return is in the contract you signed then you really have no complaint on that issue.

You may not know this but ALL rental companies charge more for gas than you would pay if you filled it yourself. Often the charge is 3-4 times higher than the cost of gas at a regular gas station. On a recent trip to Florida the rental company had their prices posted and were charging over $10 per gallon if you returned the car empty. The regular price for gas is about $2.50 per gallon.

If you sign a contract without reading it first you can find yourself paying fees you didn't anticipate. Always read your contract along with the terms and conditions, which are listed on the websites.

As others have pointed out, if you choose the cheapest rate you will often find out that they really aren't the cheapest. It's always best to go with a well known company and to come to sites like this BEFORE booking the car to read the reviews on each company.

Donna

Sarzana, Italy
Level Contributor
337 posts
422 reviews
5. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

Hi - Really sorry for the bad experience, but I'm not reading anything different from other companies' contracts.

6. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, October 13, 2016

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

I had a similar experience with - Locauto. Apart from being overcharged on the insurance, we had to wait one hour for our car. Also on delivery I was incorrectly charged €40.60 for extra fuel when in fact I had filled the car completely with diesel 20 minutes before my arrival at Ciampino airport. Needless to say I was disappointed and angry at these charges and complained via email and phone but customer service did not want to know. Word of warning do not use Locauto.

Galwegian
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
8. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

I rented a car with Ecovia in Bergamo through easycar.com, and we were warned in advance that because our flight was arriving late (around 10pm) we'd be charged a late arrival fee. We ended up being slightly earlier (arrived at desk at 9:50pm) and were never charged extra.

Unfortunately the car we booked was not available (a Volkswagen Polo) but we got what seemed to be an upgrade in the replacement, so we didn't mind. The car we got had quite a few scrapes and bangs, but all of them were itemized on the documents, and we had no problems when dropping the vehicle back. The man checking us in seemed to be under pressure as there were a few other customers, but was nevertheless courteous and took the time to go through everything on the documents (including the aforementioned scrapes) with us.

Overall quite a good experience, but do make sure you go through all the terms and conditions as it's easy to miss something like a drop off charge for a different city (which happened to me as we dropped off in Pisa). I'd be happy to recommend Ecovia or rent again with them.

King's Lynn, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
9. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

Hired through Rentalcars with Ecovia in Venice at Marco Polo Airport and the customer service is non exsistant. They will ignore you and serve Italian customers before you so you end up waiting at least an hour before you get your car. Donot bother complaining to them because they ignore emails.

When we returned the car I asked if they could 'phone the assistance people as I am disabled and need a wheelchair because of the distance from the drop off to the terminal they said they did not know the number nor would they try and find it and told my wife to walk to the terminal! I went to the Hertz desk and explained the situation they did not have the number but found it and telephoned for help which arrived within 15 minutes A1 to Hertz but -Z to infinity to Ecovia

1 post
10. Re: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!

I have been cheated too!! Yesterday at the Malpensa car hire . I waited at the airport at least 1 hour and 20 minutes for the shuttle to take me to the office with a driver able to speak only Arabic. First they gave me a Tipo I did not request. Then they asked for a 1.500 EUR as guarantee hidden between the lines in small characters in the contract, as I had not enough fund in the company credit card for the deposit they pushed me to buy a 30 EUR insurance to get only a 400 EUR deposit from the credit card. Finally they provided me with a car with a half of fuel and despite the picture I took they refused pay back the money. The woman employee I spoke to was really filthy. Not only because of her incompetence but because she was STINKING, she had no tooth-brushing since 3 days to say the least and was smelling of jogging - no shower since a week. Avoid these Mafiosi they'll try by all means to rip you off!

Reply to: AVOID Ecovia / Atlaschoice car hire Bergamo!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted