We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly car rental

Co Antrim
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
Firefly car rental

Do not touch this place we hired 2 cars at Bergamo in October 2013 both were paid for and 2 drivers gave their credit card details incase of damage ha ha what a laugh there are better cars in the scrap yard. Every month since then (6 months)later both drivers credit cards are still being charged but disputed by their credit card companies and refunded as firefly cannot give a reason for the charges. If we had not caught this on soon enough we would have paid these cowboys hundreds of pounds they are not owed. PS I have been charged this month again and credit card company one again disputing it

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
12,301 posts
551 reviews
1. Re: Firefly car rental

Hi! Sorry for your bad experience.

You Are the only one to' have had problems with them:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187830-i816-k7469…

Co Antrim
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Firefly car rental

No I am one of many just google firefly car rental reviews unfortunately we did not do this beforehand

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
12,301 posts
551 reviews
3. Re: Firefly car rental

Sorry!!! I meant to say you are NOT the only one as you can see from the thread I linked. :(

I wonder why they continue doing such things with so many complaints!

Edited: 11:47 am, June 26, 2014
Co Antrim
Level Contributor
14 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Firefly car rental

I totally agree Girella it is a disgrace 11 pages of complaints on the Italy forum alone How are they still in business

London, United...
1 post
1 review
5. Re: Firefly car rental

FIREFLY. What a terrible car hire company. Arrived at Athens after a nice BA flight, next car rental. Ok, where is Firefly? They are not there? No, at Hertz. Ok, go to Hertz. No, not there. Call customer service. Answering machine. Ask, again. Outside by the car park. There they are!! CLOSED. There is a phone at the desk to call customer service. Answering machine. O. K...family shows up and tells us go to Hertz again. Back to Hertz. Indifferent but will give us a car. Nice work Firefly, so clear, so caring.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: Firefly car rental

Firefly car rental, Rome, Italy. Bothersome and chaotic!

June 2014

We booked a small car through Holiday Autos, specifying collect for Airport. We chose this booking, thinking it was with Hertz. I should have known better.

Good things - the rental price was cheap, about £14.00 per day. I should have realised. We had an annual hire care insurance policy, so did not take the cover offered at the desk.

The car was reliable, less than 18 months old, and did all it should.

However,

Pick up is 5 minutes from the airport, in an industrial unit, and you are collected by minibus from airport arrivals. You need to phone to notify your arrival.

The cars are not brand new, and show signs of bodywork damage, scratches and scuffs. Research shows that Firefly operates older cars from the Hertz fleet, and the rental agreement indicates they are a subsidiary of Hertz.

Photo the damage carefully before you drive away.

Decline their insurance - but take out your own. The annual policy works out at equivalent of 10 days rental insurance, and if you make multiple trips as we do, it's a lot cheaper.

Allow an additional hour at each end to collect/return the car, and for transfer to the airport.

You will need a sat nav to locate the rental place on return - the printed instructions are very complex, and allow for errors. Again. Take your own GPS, because the hire prices are ridiculous.

The staff were rushed, under pressure, and showed little evidence of customer service training. I think language issues led also to misunderstandings. Every customer seemed to have an issue when we went to collect.

We almost walked away to hire another vehicle from the airport, but you are in a fax, you have paid once already, you want to start your holiday, and you don't want a stressful experience.

Having said all this, the car itself, a Ford Focus Diesel, was good,

In the USA and Australia I always great myself to a big car with a powerful engine - but you don't need that in Italy, so the little Ford was fine.

Would I recommend Firefly? No. Was it cheap? Yes. Was the holiday spoiled? No, but for many people just looking for a relaxed start, it was not the way to go.

In summary, read the details if you are booking through a broker like Holiday Autos, which lists the same category of car at different prices - do not go for the cheapest.

Avoid Firefly - stick with the big operators, which are more expensive, but offer a better overall experience.

T k
Newry
1 post
2 reviews
7. Re: Firefly car rental

Same type of experience, the 'credit card details' request when you collect the hire car must be a ploy to enable them to post additional charges beyond returning the vehicle. The car hire arrangement I had with them was via EBOOKERS (stay clear of this lot too!) On my return home I noticed an additional charge to my credit card, I emailed ebookers as they where the company I booked firefly car hire through..They affirmed the company had charged me again, thats where their 'help' ended. I have not heard from ebookers again..Disgusted in FIREFLY and EBOOKERS, best advice is to stay clear of these companies and book direct with a reputable company

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
8. Re: Firefly car rental

Hi,

This is about Firefly and Economycarrentals.com:

This is the worse company I have ever encountered. Economycarrentals together with their car supplier "Firefly" at Barcelona Airport.

It is a long story but the bottom line is that the car voucher from Economycarrentls said "The amount of EUR 45,65 is payable at the rental desk", furthermore it said under "Included in rate": "All taxes and fees" . We added a child seat worth EUR 24,80. Total cost should then have been EUR 70,45. Car rental company Firefly has a lot of obligatory made up charges and requested EUR 197,82 to be paid upon pick up (out of which EUR 73,43) was suppose to be fuel. At midnight you cannot really argue that much, we needed the car to get to the hotel 200 km away.

We returned the car full but when I get home I can see that my credit card has been charged with EUR 258. I never signed that payment and it is getting very far from the agreement with Economycarrentals at EUR 45,65.

When approaching Economycarrentals with this they gave the impression of wanting to help, please see below for an extract of many many mails. I was, amongst others, accused by Firefly to have returned the car in Malaga. When showing both my return flight ticket and receipt for having filled up the car at the airport communication ended and I get no more replies.

I have now asked my credit card provider to deal with this matter since Firefly has been charging a sum that I never signed for. It will also be reported to Spanish consumer protection authority. Now the sums may not be that huge but putting your credit card number in the hands of Economycarrentals and Firefly is something I will never do again. You can never know how much they will charge.

EXAMPLE OF COMMUNICATION;

Hello,

Thank you for your patience on this matter,

Local supplier has sent the email below

Good morning;

Our office at Málaga confirmed us that the vehicle was returned there. We

can not refund that money.

Kind regards

Firefly Customer Care

Do you maybe have a flight ticket on the day of return?

Best Regards

Emma

Reservations Team

Economy Car Rentals

Contact us by phone

Support and Contact

You can modify your reservation online by visiting

My Booking

Book your car now

Book a car

Grabouw, South...
5 posts
1 review
9. Re: Firefly car rental

The same with me. Firefly Car Rental charged my credit card fraudulently 4 months after the rental had been fully pain and finalised. (Remember, they have all your credit card details). They did not do this once, but twice, previously charging me 12 months after a rental period. I will never do business with them again and will lay a complaint of fraud with the police. Beware.....

Grabouw, South...
5 posts
1 review
10. Re: Firefly car rental

Firefly Car Rental charged my credit card fraudulently 4 months after the rental had been fully pain and finalised. (Remember, they have all your credit card details). They did not do this once, but twice, previously charging me 12 months after a rental period. I will never do business with them again and will lay a complaint of fraud with the police. Beware.....