We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveller to bergamo

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Solo traveller to bergamo

Hi, I'm flying to Bergamo for 6 nights in early March & will be travelling alone. Was wondering if anyone could give me any hints or tips on accomodation. A single room in hostel seems as expensive as some B&B's, so just wondered if anyone could recommend budget accomodation, preferably in the old town, somewhere safe for a female on her own. I don't mind whether i stay in hostel/b&b/hotel or private let as long as i have my own room. I hope to see as much of bergamo & the surrounding area as possible so as well as spending a day seeing Bergamo i hope to visit Milan, Verona, Lake Como & one of Venice/lake Iseo/Turin. is there a discounted rail ticket you can buy for local trains for multiple journeys? I realise that train travel seems to be v reasonable anyway. Also would appreciate any info on whether early March is still likely to be cold/wet or reasonably nice! Grazie mille in advance for any help anyone can give :)

La Citta Alta
Historic Sites, Architectural Buildings
Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
Churches & Cathedrals, Historic Sites, Sacred & Religious Sites
Piazza Vecchia
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,275 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

Hi!

This Hostel has reasonable prices and is located in a good position. It' s a nice walk from there up to Città Alta and it's near the station:

http://www.centralhostelbg.com/

Early march is likely to be rather cold and wet but who knows! At this moment it's snowing but seems it will get better tomorrow

Here's a list of the train offers:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Bye :)

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

Thanks Girella :)

Bergamo, Italy
Level Contributor
103 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

Being a local, i have never been to any hotel/B&b ect... Anyway, I had friends staying at Casa Mario Lupo (b&b) and they were very happy. Right in the middle of the old town, don't remember about prices though. Anyway, stay in the city center, old or new, we actually have two city centers, do not opt for a cheap option around. It is safe but very unseasy with public buses ( you may wait up to 45 min late in the evening) . The only unsafe area is around the train station but only at night, during the day very busy of course. turin is very off hand, not so nice and there are better options closer - Mantua and Pavia. Without a car, do not go the lake. Weather? Check the forecast, very unpredictable in March

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

Thanks Bridgerobe. I have booked a b&b in Via San Lorenzo in the citta alta, as i am keen to stay in citta alta, but wonder if it will be safe enough/easy enough getting back from train station in the evenings? Do you know if the bus stops anywhere close to Via San Lorenzo? I would also appreciate if someone could tell me where the funicular is in citta alta. Re Lake Como - i realise it would look best in summer, but thought it would still be lovely to visit Bellagio or one of the easily publicly accessible lakeside towns to see what it is like - do you really think it is not worth a day trip? Are Mantua & Pavia both cities & both easy to get to? I appreciate all the advice - it is hard to know which places to take day trips to as everywhere appeals to me! I really want to visit Verona, so it is n1 on my list, but aside from that would you put Mantua & Pavia ahead of Milan for example?

Thanks again :)

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,275 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

The funicular statIon is in Piazza delle Scarpe and is the nearest to your B&B

…camcom.gov.it/bergamocharme/…index.html

If you don't want to walk from the train station to the funicular station you can take N' 1 bus from the train station. However it's not a too long walk

I don't know what your interests are but personaly I would visit Milan. You can visit many things even if the weather isn't fine. It's an easy day trip and there's so much to see. Take a look at the Milan Forum for suggestions on what to visit.

Should you decide to go to Mantova it's a 3hr train journey with 1/2 changes.

Bergamo, Italy
Level Contributor
103 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

No problem from train station to upper town, direct bus or bus+funicolar.

Milan is well worth a visit, stay in yhe center. I am not sure it is open, you can see the "the last supper" by Da Vinci, the new art museum directly at the duomo square, the pinacoteca, wandering aruond the posh " fashion triangle", check out the porta romana area. I am not a big fun of the navigli area, but it is famous. Plenty of trains during peak hours from/to bergamo.

Going to Verona shouldn't be a problem, change in brescia, will take you almost two hours, but it is worth. Don't know where the train station in verona is, but should be close to downtown. I am not a big fun of the lake of Como either, especially without a car, but it is ages i don't go there (you see....) so my information is not really up to date. Have fun!

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,275 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

A visit to Last Supper must be booked well in advance

Fermanagh
Level Contributor
212 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

Girella & Bridgerobe, just wanted to thank u both for your suggestions, v helpful. Am having a great holiday & look forward to spending tomorrow enjoying Bergamo. Just wondered are there any events on tomorrow? Saw a poster on a billboard for music (Mozart i think) tomorrow eve at 9 but didn't catch where. Since flying into Bergamo on Tuesday i've spent 2 nites in Tirano & took the Bernina Express train route to Chur, loved it. Travelled back from Tirano via Varenna,Bellagio & Como travelling by boat.Did Milan yest including Last Supper, Duomo & roof, La Scala tour,cimiterio municipale, & window shopping. Had fantastic day in beautiful Verona today, & sun even shone! Now look forward to seeing Bergamo citta alta & bassa tomorrow. Thanks to a bit of forward planning,& to help from TA contributors i have enjoyed every minute of my little holiday :)

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,275 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

I'm glad you're enjoying your stay!

I'm not in Italy now and I'm not very clever with my IPhone :[ I suggest you look at www.bergamo.turismo.it or go to the tourism office

Sorry!

Mantua, Italy
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo traveller to bergamo

As Girella suggested, a Visit to Mantua would be nice. ;-)

If you need more information about this Renaissance city, just ask.

Lorenzo - VisitMantua