We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing for 3 days within 2 hours of Bergamo

Cork, Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Skiing for 3 days within 2 hours of Bergamo

Hi All,

We are visiting our inlaws who have just moved to Ispra in Italy.

We would like to try skiing while we are in Italy.

We have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. I think our 3 year old will be ok to try to skii with a lot of supervision. We'll haver to take turns babysitting our 1 year old unless they have childacre at the ski resorts, I think not.

Can anyone recommend a nice ski resort for our small ones?

We are flying out the 28th of December and back home the 4 of January. I think as its Christmas most places will be booked up?

Any ski reosrt recommendations most welcome, and also accomodation but I fear most places are booked out.

Also we need to stay near to Ispra ( near Sesto Callend) so anyone recommending a nicve hotel int hat area is much appreciated.

Thanks for any help

La Citta Alta
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites
Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Piazza Vecchia
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,323 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing for 3 days within 2 hours of Bergamo

If you have never skied before then you can not "try skiing".

You will need lessons and as such a short break probably need private lessons.

Although you can hire skis/boots/poles the hire of ski clothes is not widespread so you will need appopriate clothing. A good set of gloves especially.

In addition you will have a huge problem finding anywhere in a ski resort over Xmas willing to accept less than 7 nights.

Over Xmas Hotelliers want full weeks. In addition the dates/days have fallen good as far as the Hoteliers are concerned with the 22nd December being a Saturday. Hotelliers will therefore be looking for 22-29 Dec and 29 Dece - 5th Jan

WHY 2HRS FROM BERGAMO???

Will you have a car??

are you flying in and out of Bergamo??

Was it your intention to go directly from the ski resort to Bergamo to fly home??

HIRE CARS

Nobody in their right mind goes into Alpine areas with a car unless it is fitted with Winter tyres. Unfortunately in Italy because there is no blanket law for the requirement for Winter tyres (unlike Austria and Germany) Hire car companies are under no obligation to fit them as standard. in addition it appears form more recent posts it is becoming difficult to find companies, even the big ones, offering them as an option.

If you do hire a car it may have snow-chains in the boot

SKI RESORTS

PIANI DI BOBBIO

There is the small ski resort of Piani di Bobbio

http://www.pianidibobbio.com/en

Located ~ 18km from Lecco

Has a number of runs for beginners

There are direct trains every hour from Lecco to Bergamo and take ~ 40mins

www.fsitaliane.it

There is a local bus from Lecco to Barzio. Takes ~50mins - 1hr depending where you stay in the village

leccotrasporti.it/upload/…D35.pdf

Other place is MONTE PORA

http://www.presolanamontepora.com/

Located near Bratto /Dorga

There are some direct buses from Bergamo to Bratto but some services require changing in Albino. Overall time ~ 1h20

GETTING THERE

Unfortunately in general ski resorts are not easy to get to without a car and getting to/from airports can be sometimes convoluted.

In addition where there are skibus services they often only run at weekends

e.g. Flyskishuttle services a number of resorts from Bergamo but only at weekend

www.flyskishuttle.com/start.php…

An idea of your OVERALL itinerary including flight times and the specific dates you were looking at skiing

Cork, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing for 3 days within 2 hours of Bergamo

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

We have skiied before, in a place called Aviemore in Scotland but it was only for a weekend.

We did ge tthe basics but that was about 10 years ago so i suspect some lessons would defintely be needed.

I know what you mean re accomodation, I cant seem to find any hotels available for a few nights over the xmas.

We are flying inot Bergamo with ryanair and are renting a car. We meet my sister in law who has just moved to Ispra and also my other sister in law who is flying in from Australia. So our dates are fixed unfortunately.

I though since we were in italy to see if we could go skiing for a few days.

Thanks re the snow chains, I thought I would be able to ge tthem trough the Car company easily.

I said 2 hours from Bergamo beacuse we will ahve a car and with young kids didnt fancy driving more than 2hours.

We are flexible with our ski days, we can go start , middle or end of our trip.

Fly into Bergamo on 28th and back on the 4th.

We arrive early morning In Milan on the 28th and ly back at around 4pm.

Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,759 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing for 3 days within 2 hours of Bergamo

Hi!

I'm not a skier do I have no direct experience. However I quote what giftzwerg says.

You may find this link helpful...hoping your Italian is quite good... As it dhows where you can ski in the province of Bergamo:

http://www.brembanaski.com/

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,323 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing for 3 days within 2 hours of Bergamo

Here's a link to one of the resorts given by girella's link

…provinciabergamasca.com/sciare-inglese.html

The village of Foppolo itself would be the place for beginners

foppolo.provinciabergamasca.com/cartina.jpg

If you can't get accommodation consider staying down the valley at Branzi.

Given its short distance from Bergamo (~1hrs drive) could even be done as a day trip but as you may want lessons and hire gear you may consider staying there/closer

All these villages are at high altitude (1600m+) so the likelihood of having to drive on snow is quite high.

For me having Winter tyres is a must in Winter but you must as a minimum ensure you have snow chains.

5. Re: Skiing for 3 days within 2 hours of Bergamo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, December 17, 2013