We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Lake?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
377 reviews
Save Topic
Which Lake?

We have over a week to spend in the Italian lakes and can't decide whether to do a tour or base ourselves at one point eg Como and go North, west and east from there. We have already hired our car but could really use some advise on where to stay. We are drawn towards Como and Maggiore at the moment as we have already visited the southern part of Lake Garda. Any thoughts anyone?

devon
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which Lake?

Can you tell me is there lots to do in the southern parts of Lake Garda. My mum and myself are there for 1 week in May bearing in mind she is in her 80s.

Scotland
Level Contributor
74 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which Lake?

I noticed you mentioned that your hubby enjoys stunning scenery. I think this is where the north of the Lake (Garda - I've never been to Maggiore or Como) comes into its own. The south is much flatter, however, the north has the most stunning mountains I have ever seen, and coming from good old Scotland, that's saying something. To see them sweeping down and almost touching the shimmering lakeside is just beyond words. We stayed in the tiny village of Nago, which is about 1.5 kilometers from the lakeside town of Torbole. We really loved it, as we both love walking and we were perfectly positioned in Nago to either walk down to the lake or if we fancied a change, carry on walking further uphill, past the olive groves and vineyards and up into the mountains. Wherever you stay, have a great holiday.

Treviso, Italy
12 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Which Lake?

Both Maggiore and Como are worth a stay, but if you are going to Maggiore remind the west shore is the best. Beside the main towns Arona, Stresa and Verbania the whole shore is full of stunning villas with gardens, not to mention Isole Borromee, 3 small islands that you should not miss. I have being going to Maggiore since child as my father comes from there. Enjoy!

Gillingham
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which Lake?

My mother (who is 80) and I stayed in Bardolino (Villa Letizia - see my review) last June. Bardolino is wonderful as the promenade is flat so easy for older person to walk about (compared with Garda town where many of hotels are back from the lakeside and up slight hill.

There is plenty to do in south of lake - use ferries to visit Sirmione, Garda, and other points on lake side.

This was our second 10 day visit (we stayed in Garda first time and did not get through everythung we wanted to do).

There is a great lakeside walk from Bardolino to Garda (I did it walking both ways but left mother behind at the hotel resting) - if your mother cannot manage walk, she could take ferry and wait for you at the other end in one of the many lakeside cafes/gelaterias.