We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a refund on a phone call

Which Ventimiglia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montgomery, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Getting a refund on a phone call

Hi,

I visited Nice, France last week and my iphone was stolen. On my way to Italy, I stopped and made three calls from a pay phone at the Ventimiglia Train station to inform my parents my phone was stolen and to ask them to shut down the phone. I was charged $98.13 on my debit card for the first two calls and then $48.58 for the third call on my credit card. I was stunned to see the amount when I came home, I figured it would be a lot, maybe 30 or 40 dollars total but I did not think it would be 150. My brother had a similar issue in Europe and was able to get a partial refund, so he suggested I email the company. Is this realistic? Would they refund me partially? And also, I have absolutely no idea what company owns the phone booths in all of the Italian train stations. The phone booth is decorated in orange. I'm not sure if anyone on here will know the answer to my questions, but I really have no idea where else to go to ask.

Thanks

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a refund on a phone call

sorry to hear of your experience - but that's is just what it was a bad experience - time to move on - the cost and anxiety in trying to recover some $ - ask yourself is it worth it ?

did you report the theft to police?

did you have travel insurance ? if - so ask your insurer? (then back to the beginning -> if no insurance -> it was a very expensive and bad experience)

Edited: 2:00 am, March 24, 2014
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a refund on a phone call

The orange booths on Italian streets and in Italian stations belong to Telecom Italia. Fodors guide warns that their "rates for long-distance calls are among the highest in Europe" !

The only possibility I can imagine for obtaining a refund might be if you were lured into making calls of that number and length via a certain number - belonging to a U.S. company - advertised in the phone booth, as described here: summerinitaly.com/planning/publictelephone.a… (not knowing where "in Europe" your brother's experience occurred it is impossible to know whether it could have been for this reason or whether the reason is relevant to your situation).

Edited: 4:30 am, March 24, 2014
Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a refund on a phone call

Another reason to never use a debit card. You can dispute the charge on your credit card on the basis that you did not agree to the charge, i.e. inadequate disclosure. You might wait until near the end of your bank's time limit on disputes to increase the chance it is not contested.

4. Re: Getting a refund on a phone call

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 27, 2015