We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

Philippines
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

At Santa margherita ligure - currently having a dilemma whether to book a hotel by the waterfront and have a good sea view or to book at a hotel further inside town to have more dining options and for strolling around? I'm currently inclined to book at one of the new boutique hotels near the piazza but wouldn't want to regret not getting a waterfront hotel. Would appreciate any inputs.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,474 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

Santa Margherita Ligure is small: look at it on maps.google.com

You can walk anywhere within ten minutes.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

We have always stayed on the waterfront (except Hotel Fasce) Whether at one end (Regina Elena) which is a 10 minute stroll into the centre past many restaurants or at the other end ( Continental) which is just over a 5 minute stroll into the centre.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

Yes, SML is small and it's great to walk around in. It has several good restaurants and the promenade and harbor is fantastic. We've always stayed at Hotel Fasce and enjoy walking around some of the neighborhoods to get a better feel for the town.

Philippines
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

thanks for the inputs. will look into your recommendations. keep them coming!

how about restaurants, any particular to recommend?

Edited: 1:27 pm, October 16, 2011
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

Nothing fancy, but we enjoyed Il Faro on Via Maragliano as well as La Laterna which was on the same street.

For lunch or a snack, be sure to stop by Francesco Pinamonti's near the post office on Via dell'Arco 24. They make wonderful focaccia there with a variety of toppings. They also make pizza.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

I have also eaten a couple of times at Il Faro and it was fine. always liked Skipper although it has changed hands since I last ate there however I understand that it is now owned by Enzo who used to own Master so its in goood hands

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

Absolutely stay on the waterfront! And, as everyone has noted above, SML is eminently walkable. We are great fans of the Metropole (www.metropole.it). It's a teeny remove from the main drag ... but not that far away, either.

Philippines
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

I already need to book our family to a hotel at SML but still have 3 choices in which I have a difficulty to narrow it down further to a final.

Our basic requirements are that it would be at the waterfront and with good breakfast, preferably buffet style. My final choices are:

. Best Western Hotel Laurin

. Best Western Regina Elena

. Metropole hotel

Need your inputs, please!

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

All 3 have the same owners all are on the waterfront and all have breakfast buffets all 3 also have pools. The Regina Elena and metropole also have beach clubs. The Regina Elena is at the Portofino end, metropole at the rapallo end and the laurin in the middle

10. Re: Hotel at the waterfront vs. Hotel further inside town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 03, 2012