We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

My daughter plans to get married in Villa Durazzo in Santa Margherita next August (2012) and we have been wondering what public transport is like as we won't have a car. We're planning to rent self-catering accommodation. If we stay outside Santa Margherita, such as in Rapallo or Recco, will we be able to get to Santa Margherita easily, to make all the last minute wedding arrangements, or should we find a villa or apartment as near as possible to Santa Margherita town centre?

Any other insights into Santa Margherita would be much appreciated as we have never been before and have a lot of planning to do!

Thank you.

Edited: 6:54 am, April 08, 2011
FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,468 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

Frequent trains connect SML with Camogli and Recco (W of town) and Rapallo (E of town).

Additionally tehre is a comprehensive bus service: www.tigulliotrasporti.it/cartina2.php?sez=TOc

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,322 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

Note that while Recco is very conveniently situated, because the town was almost totally demolished during hostilities in WW2, its replacement buildings make it a rather less attractive place architecturally than most other towns along the coast.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

Brilliant - thank you for your very quick responses. I'm very happy to know Rapallo is so well served as I really like the look and sound of the place.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

Personally I don't think the trains that run along the Riviera are reliable, nor are all the train stations conveniently located with respect to other parts of town. Weddings tend to be hectic and all about nailing down small details. I would not want to find myself making 3 trips per day in and out of Santa Margherita Ligure using the trains or buses to get everything in order at the Villa Durazzo.

If some of the wedding guests want or need to stay in Rapallo or Camogli, buses and trains and taxis will cover the waterfront. But for the core group responsible for making everything a success, I suggest you book yourselves into Santa Margherita Ligure.

Edited: 6:41 pm, April 08, 2011
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

Thank you very much - I really appreciate you sharing your local knowledge with me! It's so difficult trying to makes plans when you don't know the area or how often trains and buses run or where the station is in relation to where you're staying etc! We had intended to stay in SML but then I started looking further afield - Rapallo, Paraggi etc where there are some lovely villas, beautifully situated. But we'll only have a few days after we arrive to get the final details sorted out and, as you say, we'll really need to be able to get into town easily.

Do you happen to know of any villas, apartments or rental agencies that you could recommend please?

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

I have stayed in Santa for the last 15 years and it is lovely.

My personal view is that it is nicer than Rapallo which has been spoilt a bit by modern apartments on the edge of the town. I agree with the comment above that Recco also lacks character as the buildings are post war.

Camogli is lovely and is just the other side of the hill from SML. There is a very regular bus that takes about 20 mins and the train takes 5 mins as SML is the next stop. So first choice would be stay in Santa.

Let me know if you want suggestions on hotels as there are several that are good or do you want an apartment?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

Thank you very much PSB1. We've now booked Villa Niasca at Paraggi between Portofino and Santa Margherita and are very excited about staying there - even though it's another 14 months! Any information you can give me about the area would be very much appreciated.

8. Re: Transport between Santa Margherita and nearby towns/villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 26, 2012