We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

Which Santa Margherita Ligure hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

Arriving in Milan from NY in June ( 8 am). I need to get to Santa Margherita the same day. I'm told that there is no train station in Malpensa and that I will need to get into Milan to make the connection.Any suggestions how I might get to my destination. Is the train the best way to go? Should I drive? How are the roads? My final destination will be Forte dei Marmi... I also need a plan for transportation from there back to the airport in Milan. All suggestions appreciated.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

There is a train station at Malpensa, but the trains go to the wrong station in Milan.

Take the direct airport bus to Milano Centrale (six per hour, about €7 and 50 minutes), then a direct train to Santa Margherita Ligure. See http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html for times until June 12 when schedules change and are not yet available online, but will be very similar.

Use the same site for trains from Forte dei Marmi to Milan. Except for a couple of cheap Regional trains (use a date within the next seven days to see fares for these, as prices are not displayed online for longer though do not alter) a change of train is required, usually at la Spezia. The site will tell you where to change.

For driving times without breaks, see www.viamichelin.com entering your departure city as Ferno and the address as Malpensa Aeroporto.

Edited: 9:42 am, March 24, 2010
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

for links from Malpensa, check out this site. hello

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

And the other bus line is here www.autostradale.it/pdf/Orari%20Mxp.pdf

Get on whichever has most people on board already, or whichever comes first. Unless you want to save €0.50 by taking the Malpensa Shuttle rather than the Malpensa Bus Express.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

Thank you very much for your suggestions. The bus to the train and then a leisurely ride south sounds just perfect me. I looked up all the schedules and am feeling confident about the trip. Can you suggest some "highlights" between Santa Margherita and Forte dei Marmi...or is there time to see "everything" in 8 days? Thanks!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

In 8 days, staying in the area there are lots of places. For example, Portofino, the "5 Terre, Portovenere, and other enchanting places ....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

Thanks. They're all on my list! Can't wait!

7. Re: Transportation from Malpensa Airport to Santa Margherita Lig

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 21, 2010