We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help getting from Milan to SML in July

Which Santa Margherita Ligure hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
51 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Help getting from Milan to SML in July

Help! I just checked the Trenitalia site to purchase train tickets from Milan (this is where we fly into from the US) to SML (where we are staying for 2 nights) and they only have 1 train available on the day we arrive and the time is WAY too late. We want to get to SML and enjoy it since we will only be there a short time. Is there another train station nearby (perhaps in the CT) that we could go to and then take a bus, ferry, etc. to SML from there? Any advice and help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,554 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help getting from Milan to SML in July

Hi travelerinva

You must be putting in a date too far in the future on the Trenitalia website.

I put in for this Friday and saw many trains, some are even direct. For example, there is a train at 12:05 arriving at 2:15 pm.

The train schedule isn't always fully posted too far in advance and I believe it will be updated sometime soon. However, the newer schedule will not be that much different from what you will see today.

Runcorn, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help getting from Milan to SML in July

I've done this few times and there are indeed many trains. If you are lucky you will get a direct train but if not you will have to change in Genoa. Also check trains to Rapallo which is only a few km from SML. You might get a direct train that suits your time and just have to get a taxi back to SML.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,216 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help getting from Milan to SML in July

travelerinva: Use the Trenitalia site for your planning, but you will not be able to buy from it, as it does not accept cards issued outside Europe.

This is not a problem: just buy the tickets in Milan.

4. Re: Help getting from Milan to SML in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 02, 2009