We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

Milan
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

Hello All,

I'm trying to find out how much and how long it takes by water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza. Four of us will be going from one town to the other with luggage and I was wondering what it would cost us. If anyone can give me some information it would be greatly appreciated!

All the best!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

This is a long way. No 'water taxis' and no direct boat - you have to change boats in Santa Margherita Ligure. Minimum fare €22.50 www.traghettiportofino.it/eng/linee.html

For a much more upmarket option, I suppose it may be possible to hire a boat in Portofino, but I do not know about this.

For a much cheaper option, catch one of the frequent buses from Portofino to Santa Margherita train station and take the train.

Milan
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

Thanks for the info.

I took a look at the site for the traghetti and it seems that we would have to stop in Riomaggiore for 3 hours before arriving in Vernazza which would throw us off schedule since we need to be in Vernazza by 2pm. Could you tell me if I am reading the schedule right? and what "percorso" you would suggest to get us there by boat.

Thanks for your help!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

I find it impossible to tell for sure, as the only times shown are the departure times from the cities further up the coast.

However, you obviously can't use Line 4.

Line 3 (if this goes on the right days of the week for you) should be OK if it stops in Vernazza first, but certainly not if it stops in Portovenere first, which I suspect but cannot tell for sure.

Line 5 (if this goes on the right days of the week for you) should be OK even if it stops at Riomaggiore first, which I suspect but cannot tell for sure - as you could then complete your journey to Vernazza with a ten minute train journey (if you get to Riomaggiore train station before 01.26).

I suggest you email the company if you need further information. Even if they reply, you may not get a straight answer. These are primarily day-out cruise boats rather a means of public transport, and you will have already noted the 'get out' clause on the website which says

<In the tiny villages of "5 Terre", the piers are very small and shelterless from the waves so it up to the Captain of the ferry to decide in any moment to cancel one or even more stops of the excursion, or to change the program of the cruise.>

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

rather *than* a means of public transport - typo!

Milan
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

Too funny,

I think we are going to have to use our luggage as floating devices and swim!I know we can take the train from S. Margherita to Vernazza and that was our intention but since this is the only opportunity to see Cinque Terre in a very short period of time, best view is from the sea. I found 1 water taxi that wanted to charge a bit under €1000 for the trip... No thanks! But if you can think of any other possible combination, I'd be happy to hear your ideas.

Thanks

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,626 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

As you have to be in Vernazza at a certain time, your best option seems to be the train (unless you are very strong swimmers or can paddle well sitting on top of your luggage?)

But perhaps you can see the Cinque Terre from the sea once you have arrived there? There are other boats, and it is a short trip between the villages.

7. Re: Water taxi from Portofino to Vernazza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, October 08, 2009