We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

Which La Spezia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
366 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

Is there a train from Cinque Terre/La Spezia to Venice, and If so, is it scenic, and where can I find the route and times?

Also, any itinerary help?

I'm helping my parents plan their trip to Switzerland/Italy this coming May. My dad is really intent on spending the majority of the trip in Italy. He is not opposed to spending time in Switzerland, but does not want to go "off the path." Please tell me what you think of this itinerary.

May 14, depart USA. Arrive Zurich morning of May 15.

Spend the night of the 15th in Zurich.

Leave the 16th, stop and spend time in Lucerne. Drive to Lake Como (possibly take the train, is the route scenic?)

Spend 3 nights/4 days in Lake Como, probably at Villa D'este (probably misspelled that). My dad really wants to stay here - but does anyone have any other recommendations for luxurious boutique hotels in the area?

Leave Lake Como and drive to the Cinque Terre. Spend 3 nights in the Cinque Terre.

Leave Cinque Terre on the 21st, drive to Venice. Spend 3 nights in Venice.

Leave Venice on the 25th & take the train to Rome. Spend 3 nights in Rome, depart for USA on the 28th. They have already seen/been to Rome so they are not worried about not spending enough time there.

What do you think? I told them if it were me, I'd add on another night in Switzerland and take one off in Rome, but I'm not sure where in Switzerland. I suggested Interlaken but I know that is "off the path" and my dad did not want to stray too far.

My parents want to enjoy everything - the culture, the people, the food, browse boutiques and shops, see the historical sights, wineries, etc.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

Travelchica, I'm sorry I had to smile, "is the route scenic?" ! Is the Pope catholic ?!!

Seriously though your itinerary presents some real problems and it could be the reason for your, up to now, slow response.

Firstly how active (fit) are your parents ?

Given the ease and effiency of Swiss and Italian railtravel why are you so inclined towards car hire ?

I see that you have had a quote from the Villa D'Este, I hope you were sitting down !

May I suggest that you re-route over the Brunig pass to Interlaken and from there via The Loscberg and Brig to emerge at Stresa where the scenery beats Como and has more reasonably priced hotels.

As for the Cinque Terre, I thought you said your dad did'nt want to 'stray off the path' !

The area may have got loads of publicity but it's not the easiest place to get the best out of unless you at least get onto the paths.

The trains to Venice are no problem via Pisa and Florence but just a long tiring day.

For my money I would just cut out the C.T. your parents will have had their fill of scenic grandure in the Alps and be ready to put their culture hats on.

No doubt we will be back to this subject.

Bob.

Calgary AB Canada
Level Contributor
370 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

I would also like to know about train travel between CT and Venice and if there are stops - we are going in September - spending three nights in CT and two in Venice and have one day/night in between - is there anywhere we should stop and see between CT & Venice

Thanks!

Darlene

California
Level Contributor
366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

Thank you for your response,

My dad REALLY wants to go to the Cinque Terre. I was there in 2004 and thought it was just wonderful. My parents are very fit, early 50s.

How do you get to all these rail stations? It just seems like driving your own car would be easier.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

To reply to Darlene first.

You could travel to Venice via Genoa and Milan, but I think most would recommend Pisa-Florence-Bologna.

Making Florence the obvious overnight stop. You would have to change trains there anyway.

Chica, your parent's trip is going to take a lot of thought and I am beginning to think that they being over ambitious and will be spending too much time chasing about and not enough time actually enjoying where they are.

As for the travel method, I would find the driving much too stressful, these are not the wide-open-spaces that you have ! To others it presents no problem, apparently.

On the basic itinary that you have the location of the rail stations would not be a problem as they are all within a short taxi ride to good hotels.

The only exception would be if you opted for Belaggio on Como which is not served by the railway and is up the lake, which is partly why I suggested Stresa instead.

Are your parents capable of travelling light ?

Humping luggage is not fun when you have 4 or 5 bases!!

Must leave off now, no doubt will be back.

Bob.

los altos...
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

If your parents have already been to Rome, why don't they skip Rome and fly home from Venice. That would give them a couple more days in Switzerland. The scenery in Berner Oberland can't be beat or they could find plenty to do in Luzern including a trip up to Mt. Rigis. Or they might perfer Zermat.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,942 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

Train from CT to Venice: via Genoa and Milan is slightly quicker, and perhaps more importantly has only one change of train on the journey if you are leaving from (say) Monterosso rather than la Spezia.

Use this to check the details - it's easier than Trenitalia:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de

7. Re: Itinerary help! and train from CT to Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 22, 2009