We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around La Spezia

Dubai
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling around La Spezia

Hi,

We (my wife, 4 yr daughter and myself) are visting La Spezia for 4 days in July. We would like to visit sorrounding areas like Cique Terre, Lerici, Portovenere, etc. We will not have a car so would like to know if it is easy to get around by public transport and make day trips to these places.

Thank you.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

Very Easy lerici by bus Portovenere by bus or boat and the cinque terre by train or boat (via portovenere)

Dubai
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

thanks Cudgey - some more questions...We know we cant handle the more difficult walk but are there any that you reccomend with a child? Also, what would be a good day trip with a child? As we are there 5 days where else would you reccomend visiting?

Lastly, anyone know of places to eat in La S?????

Excited....

Shaiqua 9the wife now!)

Turin, Italy
Destination Expert
for Turin
Level Contributor
577 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

The area is very well served by public transportation: train, buses and boats.

With this link you can find all kind of info and timetable. You will also find trails and their difficulties.

www.cinqueterre.it

A trip to Genova to visit the aquarium is a must. Your kid will love it.

www.acquario.ge.it

Have a nice holiday.

Dubai
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

Thanks! is it VERY hot there right now?

Turin, Italy
Destination Expert
for Turin
Level Contributor
577 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

No, it isn't so hot right now as there is a strong wind today. Temperature is usually nice on the cost, even in hottest day during summer.

Dubai
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

Thanks Zorba - that is a relief as we were worried with news reports of teh heat wave on teh front page everyday! Mind you, we are coming from 45-50 degrees so it shouldn't be too bad anyway. I just didnt want it too hot to stop us from going out/ exploring everyday.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

Just left La Spezia yesterday and was overcast and reasonably cool in the morning but Saturday thru Monday were all nice hot summer days. Restaurants will be no problem as there on many pizzrerias , restaurants bars and cafes to eat.

Dubai
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

Hi Cudgey - We came back on Thursday and it was wonderful! Hot but that was resolved with dips in teh gorgeous sea (especially Lerici!)....more than enough to eat and great pesto....

Shaiqua

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

Glad you enjoyed it after 13 consecutive days of sunshine while i have been here the heavens opened today although the sun is trying to break through as i write

Boston
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling around La Spezia

I am heading to Tuscany in a couple weeks & also wondering if there is a place close to the train in La Spezia to allow us to stay close to Cinque Terre (cannot find anything in any of the 5 towns). We don't want to stay the 3 night minimum that any rooms left in Cinque Terre require. And do you know how late the trains run to get back to La Spezia? Thanks so much!