We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in the old town - help please!

Which Genoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in the old town - help please!

My husband and I are going to genoa for 5 nights arriving 26th sept departing the morning of 1st oct. My husband loves history and we will want it go into all the palazzos, museums etc. as well as eating fantastic italian food and igoing to lovely restaturants. my guide books have just arrived and I must admit I'm a bit worried about safety. I'm reading not to go into the old town after dark, don't wear jewellery etc etc.

We live in central London so are pretty savvy about where to go etc and when we read about Naples and went a few years ago we were paranoid and didn't take watches, jewellery etc- once there we wondered why we had been so worried as it never felt threatening.

We are staying by station principe in a very nice looking 5 star hotel. Can someone tell me if we should leave valuables at home and exactly where the old town starts and ends if indeed it should be avoided? I'm almost beginning to wish I'd never bought the guide book and just made my own mind up on arrival!!

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in the old town - help please!

I honestly have never felt particularly unsafe in Genoa. I actually love it's sometimes slightly gritty, real-city-feel...granted, I'm from New York City and I think that if you are from London, are a savvy traveller (as you seem to be) you will be totally fine. Obviously, use common sense and gut instincts. Genova has small little dark alleyways everywhere that can be very easy to get turned around in, so just make a point of not trying to find a new pathway at night, and if you see something shady, turn around. The alleyways can be a bit off-putting as many are narrow, one-way feeling with few ways to exit except to turn into another little alleyway, which can make people nervous, but I have never had a problem. I wouldn't wear flashy jewelery anywhere when I'm traveling, and ask your hotel for the best paths to take if you are walking around at night...but for history buffs, La Superba is really an amazing city!

London
Level Contributor
78 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in the old town - help please!

Thats great - thanks for the reply! One more question as you clearly know the area if thats ok! We arrive lunch time Thursday. Will spend the rest of Thursday in Genoa. We then have 4 full days Fri-Mon before we head home on Tuesday. We'd like for sure to go to Portofino one day and wonder which will be the best - both in terms of being in Portofino when things are open and also not missing valuable museum time etc in Genoa. Which day would you recommend? Also is ther another day or half day trip we should really do (we're not planning ot hire a car) We're big foodies and love italian wine too so a place for a great unch maybe....................!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in the old town - help please!

I've been to both Naples and Genoa in recent years, and rest assured that your experience in Naples will be repeated in Genoa. Obviously crime can happen just about anywhere, but there is really no reason to be paranoid. However, there was one particular area in the old town where prostitutes were quite visible. Kind of creepy, but it didn't seem dangerous.

Enjoy Genoa.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in the old town - help please!

If you want to avoid missing valuable museum time, go to Portofino on the Monday. Most Genoa museums are closed on Mondays.

For another trip (or a combined trip with Portofino) visit Camogli by train. There are also boats from Camogli which go to San Fruttuoso www.golfoparadiso.it/public/php/lineablu.php… from where you can take an onward boat to Portofino www.traghettiportofino.it/index.php… (on the latter timetable Holiday means Sundays, and Weekly means Daily!)

There are also boats from Genoa to Portofino golfoparadiso.it/public/php/lineaverde.php… but these do not run on Mondays in September.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,291 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in the old town - help please!

I think leaving valuables at home is basically always adviceable. In the safest city in the world you might lose them.

Anyway, Genoa compares to Naples from several points of view. The narrowest alleys in the centre are not very safe, especially after the sunset. In the centre, some beautiful broad streets (like Via Garibaldi in Genoa, or Via Toledo in Naples) are often surrounded by the worst kind of alleys. But if you are reasonably careful real danger is rare. And an advantage of Genoa is that the motoscooters which obsess the alleys of Naples hardly exist.

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in the old town - help please!

It's tru that narrow streets can be dangerous but don't stress :) in weekend nights there will be a lot of people around. Just stay where you see a lit of people and avoid empty ones.

Some small alleys are dark even during day but they are really safe anyway. And yes, in via della Maddalena it's full of prostitutes even in broad daylight. Nothing to worry about, just ignore them; if you do, you can enjoy a really characteristic street full of artisan shops and great small places to eat really typical food.

7. Re: Safety in the old town - help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 19, 2014