We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Genoa, Italy

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Genoa, Italy

I am planning a trip to Genoa, four-five days. does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation, restaurants/bars, and fun things to do? Two adult females. Is there any time of the year we should avoid?

thanks,

Mpiaff

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Genoa, Italy

Genoa's tourist website could be of interest , if you haven't already seen it www.genova-turismo.it/spip.php?rubrique60 - it's fairly comprehensive.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Genoa, Italy

Hi, I'm here right now just for an overnight stay so can't advise on anything to do but thought you should know the city is absolutely gorgeous. We're staying at the Best Western City Hotel on Via San Sebastiano and think it's great value for money in an amazing location.

United States
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Genoa, Italy

I enjoyed the port area with the aquarium and biosphere. There's a department store with old villa items inside. Take the funicular up the hill for great views. The museums on the Strada Nuova are wonderful especially the Palazzo Rosso and Palazzo Bianco. There are some sketchy areas which I would avoid at night.

TAB

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Rosso
Palazzo Rosso
300 Reviews
Genoa, Italy
dubai
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Genoa, Italy

Hey. did you visit Genoa as posted. I'm heading over on Sunday and wanted to check on what restaurants and beaches are worth visiting ..cheers

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Genoa, Italy

Genoa is not a place people go to in order to go to a beach. It is a place people leave to go to a beach somewhere else.

There are a few small urban beaches and many more bathing places where you can swim off concrete or rocks.

If you must go to a beach in Genoa, consider Boccadasse

Mentioned in this post
Boccadasse
Boccadasse
3,857 Reviews
Genoa, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Genoa, Italy

hi, hope this is not too late for you. We found some good places to eat. Lunch at Il Botteghino in Piazza Sta Maria delle Vigne - it's a local café and we ate the traditional faggotini with pesto. also served the smoothest cappuccino. Lunch at the Museo del mare was good too. The Cantina dei tre merli, in the vico dietro il coro della maddalena, off via garibaldi, had the most delicious fish stew and the local white wine, which is slightly fizzy. There is a nice café in Piazza della Meridiana, at one end of Via Garibaldi, where we often ate breakfast and one evening had a fantastic meal. The chef came out and discussed what she would cook for us, and it was all delicious.

Genoa doesn't have nice beaches and we weren't really there at beach time weather. the day we went to Santa Margherita, it poured with rain so we didn't get to the beach. you need to go down the coast and the train journey is picturesque.

I loved the city and hope you have a good time too.

Mentioned in this post
Via Garibaldi
Via Garibaldi
1,869 Reviews
Genoa, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Meridiana
Meridiana
206 Reviews
Genoa, Italy
7. Re: visiting Genoa, Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Genoa