We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

Which Genoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chamonix, France
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

Hi out there - I am planning to drive from Genoa to Chamonix on a fairly regular basis (and the other way) - So I was wondering if any one could recomend an alternative route to passing through the Mont-Blanc tunnel without taking a huge diversion, Also any other tips for this route would be welcome - Many thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

It would be a huge diversion….

Driving from Chamonix to Aosta - avoiding the tunnels:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k54915…

Tolls:

http://www.tunnelmb.net/v3.0/gb/tarifgb.asp

Vagabonda

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

If any of your trips are taking place in months other than summer, the roads may be closed.

Are you sure you want to drive the full route frequently? I'd rather cut the driving as much as possible with trains, and a car rental pick up in Aosta, or even a combination of a train to Milan and plane flight to Geneva, and pick up a rental car there.

Edited: 11:01 am, October 11, 2012
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

There's also bus service - COURMAYEUR - CHAMONIX:

www.savda.it/it/67/courmayeur-chamonix.php

Vagabonda

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,959 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

The fastest alternative is probably via the Frejus tunnel, but will add at least 25% to the driving time. If you are trying to avoid tunnel tolls it won't help.

Using the Mont Cenis pass next to the Frejus tunnel saves on tolls, but is a slow drive which probably adds yet another hour. If using this pass, get a good map - the turn-off is before Susa not after it, and in winter check conditions on …gouv.fr/acces-aux-cols/index.do

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

I just looked up the direct drive and was surprised at how short it is, so scratch my suggestion of trains and planes and car rentals.

The Mont Cenis pass and similar roads over those mountains can be seen in advance on YouTube.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,099 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

If you plan to drive that route frequently, the 10- or even 20-ride pass for the Mont Blanc Tunnel would save you a bundle. The 20-ride pass is valid 24 months and costs currently approx. 170 euro.

Chamonix, France
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

Hi Every-One

Amazing response thank you loads!

Did the drive last weekend, picked up a hire car from Genoa airport and headed up past Alessandria and Milan then Aosta and finally through the dreaded Mont-blanc tunnel with Chamonix being just around the corner on the other side! Nice enough auto route drive without too many problems or road works to contend with, had the foot down a little bit so it took 2.5 hrs or just over and the return trip tolls in Italy were 57Euros then add on 49Euros for the tunnel passage (return), fuel and car hire, worth it to get home for a long weekend :). Will look now at some of your suggestions for next time to avoid the tunnel and I suppose I could always hire a smaller car and cut fuel costs with a lighter foot - Any more advice welcome - thanks again!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,262 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

Thank you for your report webstarr1 - If you plan to do this route often, consider the passes as suggested by FF. The rates are listed on the link provided on the first post.

Vagabonda

Vancouver/Barra
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

I'm driving from Nice to Lucca on a Sunday nite in April. The last time I did this drive the in and out on the tunnels gave me a quasi epileptic attack. Suggestions on best way to avoid the tunnels appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Genoa to Chamonix missing Mont-Blanc tunnel

Barrabon:

Your question has nothing to do with travel from Genoa to Chamonix. If you have a new question, you do best to click on "Ask a question' and start a new thread.

Travelling along the Riviera coast, the fast autostrada keeps going through tunnels. The only alternative is the old SS1 road, which would be very very much slower. It has continual bends, and goes through every settlement along the coast.