We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Genoa airport - Europcar

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire Genoa airport - Europcar

Avoid Europcar at Genoa

I pre-paid a rental for VW Golf or “similar” in July this year. On arrival at the airport, a Golf wasn’t available and I was first offered a Lancia Musa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Musa) or a Citroen C3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citroen_C3). These are both smaller cars than the Golf. I rejected both at the hire desk and after some argument was “upgraded” to Renault Megane estate (wagon) which was OK. When I raised this with Europcar after my return from holiday, they maintained that both the Musa and the C3 were similar in size and luggage capacity to the Golf.

I’ve also been charged on my credit card (the charge is in dispute and I’ll update later) for “renting a high visibility vest” with the car. Not only was I unaware that this charge was being levied, but as high-vis’ vests are a legal requirement for all cars in Italy, it seems simply wrong that a car can be hired without one. What next? An extra charge for seatbelts?

Europcar have been pretty unhelpful throughout. They have adopted a view that “similar” can actually mean “one class smaller” and maintain that they offered me what I’d agreed to rent. All the other major car hire companies operate out of Genoa airport – spend your money with one of them instead.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire Genoa airport - Europcar

Hi,

I read your post with interest as I will be picking up a car from Europcar at Genoa airport too in the next few weeks. I booked through Holiday Autos so I hope there wont be any extra charges.

In terms of the car type, I have asked for a Polo/Corsa sized car and need this as an absolute minimum based on the luggage i have ... they better not try and fob me off with a Smart Car (lol).

thanks for the advise ... might need to throw up a fuss to ensure I get the right sized car.

Edited: 10:21 am, August 17, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire Genoa airport - Europcar

Update - Europcar responded on the hi-vis' vest issue. As a "goodwill" gesture they waived the credit card charge which is welcome. However, they were still unable to demonstrate that they had ever advised me of the charge. No mention on their website or on collection. They have not explained why they charge extra to make your rental car legal.

Best thing to do, take your own vest or get a £2.99 one from Tesco, tell them when you pick up the car you've got one with you and confirm there will be no extra charge.

Edited: 8:38 am, August 18, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire Genoa airport - Europcar

Thanks for the update. As a I rented via HolidayAutos, the process with extra chanrges may be different. Either way, I am happy to go down the same line of disputing any charges that I feel are unjust.

4. Re: Car hire Genoa airport - Europcar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 22, 2013