We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

genoa to portifino

Which Genoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
genoa to portifino

arriving on cruise ship for day in Genoa. Has anyone taken the small ferry over to Portifino? Or would you recommend the train to Santa M. Ligure and then the bus. Any idea how I could check fares and timetables for both Jul 8th Many thanks K

London Scot
Level Contributor
43 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: genoa to portifino

Wouldn't describe myself as expert on Liguria, but just back from Genoa, so my advice is up to date. My preference would be as follows, backed by my view you may wish to travel on land for a change from sea. Rail service from Genoa PP along the coast is excellent and cheap. Genoa PP station is five minute walk from cruise terminal and regular service along the coast. As stated, rail travel will not break the bank - from memory, about seven euros return fare. My personal preference ( probably not popular with everyone) would be to purchase return ticket to SML and alight on outbound journey at Camogli - much smaller, much more relaxing and far fewer tourists. Continue your journey to SML and catch ferry to Portofino. Arriving in Portofino by boat much more preferable than by bus. To be honest, Portofino struck me as tourist trap - by all means visit, but area has so much more to offer. Given cruise framework, please keep an eye on timetables.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,942 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: genoa to portifino

For direct boat times from Genoa click Linee then click Verde on http://www.golfoparadiso.it/public/index.htm

The frequent trains along the coast from Genova Piazza Principe offer much more flexibility than the boats. For the connecting boats from Santa Margherita Ligure and Rapallo see www1.traghettiportofino.it/index.php…

There are also slightly more frequent buses from Santa Margherita Ligure train station www.tigulliotrasporti.it/cartina2.php?sez=TOc - click Portofino etc.

boston
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: genoa to portifino

Thanks London Scot and Perilzia and any other helpful friends~

Do you happen to know from cruise ship where the Santa Margherita train would be found? How long is train from Genoa to SMargherita and then where does one find the ferry from SM to Portifino

I so appreciate your reply

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,942 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: genoa to portifino

Genova Piazza Principe station is ten minutes walk from the cruise pier. The main entrance is in Piazza Acquaverde.

The rest of the information can be found using the links provided in reply 2 - for the ferry boarding point, click 'Boarding points' and for train times enter Genova Piazza Principe and Santa Margherita Ligure.

Edited: 2:41 am, June 26, 2012
5. Re: genoa to portifino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 28, 2013