We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

Hi, I wish to travel from Genoa to Malpensa Airport. Is there any direct mode of transport available which can take me straight to Malpensa Airport in Milan ? Or, I will have to go to Milano Centrale first and then take a train to the airport ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,392 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

You have to change at Milano Centrale.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

There is one bus a day (two in summer) direct from Genoa to Malpensa http://www.volpibus.com/orari.asp/l/19

The bus takes the same time as the much more frequent (around hourly) train service with one change of train at Milano Centrale.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

ya okay .! I think there is a shuttle service which goes directly. Trying to find that out

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

Yes i could get the details, Thank u so much. You have been of great help

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

Can anyone advise whether it is easier to

go from Genoa to Malpensa by--

bus which is slower w/ only 2 daily departures

or train which is faster but requires a change at Milano Centrale.

My concern is less about the time involved as it ease of execution. Easier and liklihood of A/C is the aim.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

The bus takes more or less exactly the same time as the train. Both should have A/C.

Bus is easier if you don't want to change trains and carry luggage up train steps, and maybe if you are going to Terminal Two for an easyJet flight as the train station is in T1.

It's harder if taking the bus means you'll have to wait hours more than you need at Malpensa, and if you don't like the thought of being trapped in a bus seat for three hours as opposed to the freedom of movement on the train and the split in journey between trains.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

Thank you Perilizia

The bus seems more efficient, but regarding train option: would it be the intercity train or the Eurorail which I realize is more costly and requires reservations. Which line has the 2 or 3 trains hourly please?

Changing at Centrale is less an issue than having to use stairs w/ luggage. But how doable are those stairs anyway?

For clarity, we will be going from Terminal 1 to Genoa Principe, then later, back to Term 1 to fly out.

Thanks again

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

There is no such thing as Eurorail.

Trenitalia runs all trains from Genoa to Milan. The fast trains run hourly, and are Intercity trains (or, rarely, Frecciabianca trains with little difference in speed or comfort though more modern so more expensive). Tickets for these types of train include a seat reservation, but can be bought on the day, which you should certainly do on arrival. At Malpensa Airport train station simply ask for tickets to Genova Piazza Principe, or buy from a ticket machine. It is unwise to book in advance because of the possibility of flight delays.

But for returning, I would buy earlier. There are also slower, cheaper Regional trains between Milan and Genoa with no reserved seats. The trains between Malpensa and Milano Centrale (twice an hour) also have no reserved seats.

There is level access to and between platforms at Milano Centrale and Malpensa. I'm not sure of the current state of Piazza Principe as there is extensive modernisation taking place, but elevators and escalators may be available.

Edited: 12:40 pm, May 22, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

Thank you Perilizia

I have the website that clarifies the various train options and will search out their schedules.

While the Frecciabianca looks like fun, I would forgo the speed because I would prefer to have some scenic window viewing. That would put us on the IC which is fast but not compromising the ability to enjoy the passing landscape. Am I right about that?

Thanks very much; you have been helpful.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Genoa to Malpensa Airport, Milan

There is no speed difference at all between the two on this particular route.

If you are going at the right time for a Frecciabianca (and there only a couple of them) it might actually be better for views as it has open cars. Many of the InterCity train cars have separate compartments accessed by a corridor along one side of the car, and the doors into the corridor can impair the view to one side of the train.