We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Number of days to sight see in Genoa?

Maryland
Level Contributor
116 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Number of days to sight see in Genoa?

We have a tight shedule and I'm wondering if we need 2 or 3 days for sight seeing in Genoa. We'd like to go to the Aquarium for sure, and anything else that is a top sight like the Palace.

What do you recommend? Also, where in the city do you recommend we stay --preferably an apartment in a safe, quiet area if they rent by the day?

Many thanks, Robin

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Number of days to sight see in Genoa?

Many people pass on Genoa, which I think is a pity as it is a wonderful old seaport republic with lots of old palazzi, museums, art galleries and a nice opera house, plus narrow warren streets dripping with history, as well as the old harbour and the acquarium. Good seafood restaurants too. If you are really pushed on time, you could do the acquarium and a bit of the centre storico in one day, but a full 2 days would give you a good solid visit. I always drive down for the day from Piedmont, so can't help you with lodging recs, but friends have stayed at hotel Major, right in old town and inexpensive and liked it, also B&B Flowers in the centre. I think an apartment would be hard to find for a day or two.

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Maryland
Level Contributor
116 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Number of days to sight see in Genoa?

Thanks for your response -- I think we'll stick to three nights-- 2 full days. Robin

Genoa
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Number of days to sight see in Genoa?

I think that 2 days are enough to visit Genoa, only if you want to limit your visit to the city shopping and business centre, and to the Historical Center (the oldest in Europe).

But Genoa it's not ONLY it's centre but it's particularly it's surroundings cities like Sestri Ponente (the city of the airport) that has a very nice shopping centre), Nervi (has an awesome promenade), Pegli.

In Summer I suggest you to visit Arenzano and Varazze (expecially in the evening/night) that are about 30 minutes off the city center by train.

Last but not least, you can't come in Genoa ad avoid to visit the Cinque Terre.

This paradise is about 2 hour by train from the main railway stations.

4 or 5 days are perfect for a deep visit to the city.

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Arenzano
Arenzano
Italian Riviera, Italy
Varazze
Varazze
Italian Riviera, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
4. Re: Number of days to sight see in Genoa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, August 31, 2009