We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

Maui, Hawaii
4 posts
Save Topic
Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

I will be in Vernazza in September and then going to Bellagio. I am going to be taking the train. Doing my research I understand that I would go to Milan and switch trains to go to Como where I would like to then take the ferry to Bellagio. If someone could verify my thought process here I would be very thankful! Any other information regarding the best website for this train information as well as the ferry information would be appreciated. or if you happen to know how often the train would depart from Vernazza to Milan? or how often the ferry would go from Como to Bellagio.

Thank you!

United States
Level Contributor
9,619 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

You could also could take the train from Milano Centrale to Varenna and take a shorter ferry ride to Bellagio. The train schedule is found at : www.trenitalia.com

Set the time of travel, a date in the next 7 days on the same day of the week as you are traveling, and change to the English option if you want.

Ferry schedule at: www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/c_orari.asp

TAB

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

On www.trenitalia.com if you don't select English first by clicking the UK flag at the top, you must click the grey 'Tutti i treni' button. Use the date you are travelling on, with destinations as either Como S. Giovanni or Varenna-Esino, which you enter by clicking the prompts which appear after you've started typing in the station names. And set your 'hour' of departure, e.g. to '13' for 13.00. Varenna is probably better for Bellagio.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

Note also that on dates after September 7, the Trenitalia website is showing most of these journeys as unpurchasable because one of the trains is sold out. The trains are not sold out - they are simply not open for sale as the timetable is being altered slightly to allow for maintenance work to tunnels on the line. You'll have to wait a while until the new schedule is loaded.

Maui, Hawaii
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

it's a good idea to go one way and come back the other way, so either come via Como and return via Varenna or vice versa.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
328 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

Hi Perilizia, any idea as to when this maintenance work will start in September? I will be there 1st 2 wks of september but getting a bit worried that maybe some days there will be no train service either between the villages or to milano. i know the area and as far as i could see there is only one tunnel for going and coming.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

The tunnels contain two train tracks, one for either direction. One of the two tracks will be kept open at all times (except the small hours) but will be used for trains in both directions, making the current timetable unworkable.

Work is currently projected to start on September 8.

8. Re: Train from Vernazza to Milan to Como.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 27, 2014