We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vernazza or Sorrento?

Which Vernazza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
9 posts
Save Topic
Vernazza or Sorrento?

We love Tuscany/Florence in 2004, now we have one week in Italy. Since

flying into Rome, we will see Rome's major sights in 2 days. Then should we go north or south? Would like to take a dip in the Med. Is it too hot and crowded to head to Sorrento July 7-14? Or is Cinque Terre the way to go?

vernazza
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

Hello

The amalfitana coast is similar of the inadulterated coast italian riviera cinqueterre. Of course Sorrento is more VIP , elegant Vernazza is more natural simple and we say here "the best of the 5 terre" but decide you

ciao

mino from Vernazza

Boise
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

Consider neither. How about heading out to Ischia? Or Ponza? Aeolian Islands. How about this...

Leave Rome iby train in the morning and head to Naples (keeping all valuables close to your chest). Check in to a hotel for one night. Take the Circumvesuviana down to Pompeii or Herculaneum to see a truly world class archeological site. Get some great pizza for dinner in Naples. Next day take the ferry out to Ischia or Capri and check in to a new hotel for a couple of days. Enjoy friendly people, beautiful sights, great food. Head back to Rome.

Seattle
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

Thankyou mino for your advice. We are looking forward to our holiday!

Seattle
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

Kednewt, do you recommend Naples? I haven't heard anything really positive as to why I should go there. I am interested in Pompeii, but on

the other had, Pisa/Lucca are so close to Cinque Terre. I guess I am still

torn. I read a comment of yours on an earlier post that CT was a bit like Disneyland - that doesn;t necessarily excite me. mmmmm deicions...

ottawa, canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

hello

i have been to cinque terre twice now once in 2000 and again on april 28-30 2006. i think vernazza would be cheaper then sorrento. cinque terre is an experience one needs to have but i dont know if you would like the crowds that come in the summer months it gets nasty crazy. you can do all five towns in one day if your up for the hike. i would say take 2 days to do the hikes but you wont be able to fully enjoy the lazy side of cinque terre. just relaxing and having a bottle of wine to waste the day away, and people watch. if your gonna do a 2 day hike take a train to Riomaggiore and come back to vernazza. and then the last day do vernazza to monterossa. and take the train back. that way you will be able to enjoy the lazy time for the afternoon. the first 4 hikes arent as hard as vernazza to monterossa. best time to visit the cinque terre is either late april early may when everything is in bloom or late september early october when the weather is still somewhat nice. that way you avoid all the tourists and the accomidations are alot cheaper.

vernazza
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

Hello

Follow Matters07 and if you haven't reservation ask

at roomvernazza@hotmail.it

ciao mino

Boise
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

BrorsGirl -- Wow! It is really getting hot here in Rome! The weather is a really damper on sightseeing for me. If you are coming from the states you might want to consider not making the full time change, just get up late and stay out late. When you are here, cool off in the churches -- many are wonderfully, stoney cool right now. My favorites are Chiesa de Gesu, just off the Piazza Venezia (amazing counter reformation figures cascading from the ceiling) and the Chiesa di Sant'Ignazio (lots of PGR hearts on the walls, bone decorations), between the Pantheon and Trevi fountain. (Good, inexpensive salads and primi piatti at the bar on the corner of the Via Pie di Marmo in Piazza d. Collegion Romano nearby.) If you only do one museum of ancient Roman art, I suggest the Palazzo Massimo, across from the Stazione Termini. Wonderful scupture, bronzes, mosaics and coins and a mummy in the basement. Beaufifully laid out!

No, Naples is not my favorite city. I like Sorrento better, and it is a bit cooler because of the trees. But the Italian coast is dramatic and beautiful because it is full of cliffs and rocks-- not much beach. You have to make a point of finding the sandy bits.

Seattle
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

Thanks everybody for your tips. We are still undecided but appreciate your input. I do have a room secured in Monterosso for a couple of days, and San Gimignano.

I am thinking land on Rome 7/7, drive or train to SG stay 2 days,

drive or train to CT, and return to Rome for our last 2 days.

On the other hand, we plan on watching some travel videos over the long weekend, and just may end up going south to experience Pompeii and amalfi.

Thanks to matters07 on the weather tip - good advise. Here in WA

state it is only 60 degrees right now!

Leggett, Calif
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

Brorsgirl

Just wondering what you decided for your trip in July. Did you go to Ct or Sorrento? And how was your trip? Love to hear because I have a similar decision.

Thanks!

10. Re: Vernazza or Sorrento?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 14, 2009