We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vernazza Floods

Birmingham, Michigan
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vernazza Floods

Is Vernazza still in a state of emergency? Is it still worth it to visit there in there next couple of weeks or is the town in ruins still? :(

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vernazza Floods

Vernazza has been reopened for several months now, and has been hosting visitors since the spring. It is absolutely worth the visit, and the town has gotten back on its feet in an amazing way. Though there is still work being done, it is in no way still in ruins - check out savevernazza.com for more info.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vernazza Floods

We are in Italy in January of 2013 for 10 days. We are traveling from Venice to Rome. Can you tell me does Vernazza offer much to see and are things open in the off season or should I skip this quaint town and plan on travelling further south to Naples? If it were summer, it would be a must see stop-just not sure about the winter months. Your thoughts?

3. Re: Vernazza Floods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:07 pm, October 22, 2012
North Cornwall...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vernazza Floods

We visited all but one of the villages in the Cinque Terre in June 2012 and I have to say that whilst Vernazza isn't the biggest, it is the most beautiful and defintely worth visiting. Yes there is still work going on but there is plenty of everything open. I wouldn't miss it.

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vernazza Floods

But be careful about going to the water as I stepped on a rusty piece of iron while coming out of the sea yesterday.

Genoa, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Vernazza Floods

I was in Vernazza yesterday and yes it is absolutely worth seeing, its incredible to think that it was so badly damaged in october, because today there are very few signs of damage. The only thing that was affected were the walking routes further along cinque terre, for the final two towns, which were closed.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vernazza Floods

Of the Coastal trail, the route from Corniglia to Manarola has been closed for a bit of time now, unrelated to the flooding. Most everything else is open.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vernazza Floods

We were in Vernazza the first week in July. Everything below the train station was pretty much open for business, though there is still plenty of work going on. Above the train station things were still pretty torn up, including the upper piazza (Fontana Vecchia?), though that shouldn't impact most visitors. The post office is operating out of a mobile unit, and there was no Bancomat (ATM) while we were there. A new bank branch was being completed, I think the sign said it would open July 9, I assume it will have a Bancomat. Except for the noise and influx of construction vehicles every morning, there was very little practical effect on visitors.

As far as being careful when swimming, I would be more worried about jellyfish than the odd piece of iron, though I'm sure either would hurt. Check the water carefully before you jump in, watch and ask the locals. I swam every day off the boat landing without incident, but one of the local kids showed me the scars from an encounter with the jellyfish they call a "Medusa". Ouch!

9. Re: Vernazza Floods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, July 17, 2013