We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The natural beauty of CT, and its recovery from floods

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The natural beauty of CT, and its recovery from floods

Hi,

I see a lot of inquiries about le Cinque Terre's recovery from last year's deadly floods, and I wanted to offer up something for people's consideration.

The main attraction of le Cinque Terre is the combination of the dramatic natural beauty of the landscape PLUS the human ingenuity that built housing and functioning towns on this seemingly impossible terrain.

I can understand people inquiring about whether enough hotels and eateries have re-opened, or whether the trains or boats are running.

It is more puzzling to see questions about whether the area is presently worth seeing as a tourist.

If anything, the extraordinary act of nature that created last year's powerful floods, and the response of its native citizens, have only made le Cinque Terre a MORE INTERESTING place to see. The historic struggle to maintain human habit there, the ingenuity of its people, the raw and relentless power of nature, made tame and sweet by hard work, is all right out there now, in living 3-D.

If I could roll back the clock, last year's terrible floods never would have happened. But they did, and one surprising result is how le Cinque Terre has been moved away from being a tidy little framed picture postcard (that same picture, over and over) stomped flat by tourists to a very lively community of patriots who have re-emerged to reclaim their villages and again reshape the landscape, busy building and rebuilding in a tight community tradition that goes back centuries.

Even before Rick Steves, le Cinque Terre had been a place where people with more travel spirit than money came from all over the owrd to simply marvel at nature at her most dramatic and difficult but at the same time inspiring.

There is always the chance that, once this shock is over, le Cinque Terre will drift back into picture postcard, tourist snapshot land, just another pretty Riviera town with seaside cafes.

If you have a chance to see it now, this is the time to go. You'll get to see the history of the place exposed.

Edited: 8:37 am, April 23, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Zattera Antonia
Zattera Antonia
Vernazza, Italy
Hotel Villa Steno
Hotel Villa Steno
#1 of 20 hotels in Monterosso al Mare
Hotel Pasquale
Hotel Pasquale
#2 of 20 hotels in Monterosso al Mare
Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
734 posts
397 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The natural beauty of CT, and its recovery from floods

I was in Cinque Terre two days before the floods, and again now last week. I agree very much with Happy above that this is a great time for visiting. You will understand how powerful and evil the nature forces can be, and realize the challenges and will power and hard work of all those people who are rebuilding their villages.

And besides, the spectacular scenery is still around, at the moment also with lots of spring flowers which makes the hikes an extra delight

No shortages of places to eat, drink og sleep, either

So now is the time to go!

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The natural beauty of CT, and its recovery from floods

Brava Happy!

3. Re: The natural beauty of CT, and its recovery from floods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 pm, August 19, 2016
Boston
Level Contributor
20 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The natural beauty of CT, and its recovery from floods

Just returned from a fabulous 5T visit. Stayed in Monterosso Old Town at Hotel Pasquale. Everyone please go, don't stay away. There is so much beauty and stron spirit in the rebuilding. I have never felt so welcomed anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Pasquale
Hotel Pasquale
1,466 Reviews
Monterosso al Mare, Italy
5. Re: The natural beauty of CT, and its recovery from floods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 pm, June 18, 2013