We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

Which Vernazza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
64 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

We will be traveling from Vernazza to Venice. Trying to gauge how far this is - how many hours it will take and is it realistic to make the drive in one day? We will have a car. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

It is about 250 miles from Vernazza to Venice. If you stick to the autostrada (motorways), you could drive it in about 4.5 hours plus stops. I have driven from Venice to La Spezia comfortably in a day, using ordinary main roads as far as Parma and then the autostrada.

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
64 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

Thank you - this is very helpful

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

Hi,

Just wondered if you have taken the drive from Vernazza to Venice yet? We are going in October and had planned to take the train on that leg of our trip, but now we are leaning toward driving Vernazza to Venice when we are there in October. Any input would be so appreciated.

Thanks,

Peggy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

What input do you want additional to what is in reply #1?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

It's a fine drive and just as reply 1 said. No problem.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

Since this is the only drive we intend to do, was wondering where you can rent a car in Vernazza or La Spezia and where to drop it off in Venice? Wanted to see if there is anyone out there who who has done both train and drive and which they recommend. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

There is no car rental in any of the Cinque Terre villages. The closest is in La Spezia. The best drop-off in Venice is at Piazzale Roma (sometimes listed as "downtown").

By train, you can get from Vernazza to Venice in 5.5 hours for €53.70 each, changing at La Spezia and Florence. Cost for two people: €107.40.

To drive, you would take the train to La Spezia (€2.10 each), then a taxi to the rental office (say €10). Driving to Venice would take some 5 hours, mostly on very boring motorways, and would cost around €35 in fuel and €27.60 in tolls, plus say €100 for one-day rental. Total cost for two people: €176.85.

So driving will be more stressful, more expensive, and no faster than going by train.

I drove because the trip was part of a 6-week tour around Italy, and I was going to stay in a small village just outside La Spezia.

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

Nick,

You are beating a dead horse.................it's terribly difficult to get people from the USA out of their automobile comfort zones. They are used to having a vehicle at hand, and they are not used to travel via public transport.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

Tptr, All the more reason, I would think, to point out to people from the USA that Italy is *different* and that with few exceptions public transport is cheaper, faster and more convenient. What good is a vehicle at hand going to do anyone in the Cinque Terre or Venice?

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cinque Terra to Venice - driving.....

Zerlina,

Obviously I'm agreeing with you