We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Which Vernazza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

I've been able to successfully book all legs of an upcoming trip through Europe (in May 2011) - EXCEPT for train tickets from where we are staying in Vernazza, to our next destination in Nice (France).

The best I was able to purchase on the TrenItalia website was a Levanto-Ventimiglia trip. I am also hoping that it will be easy to purchase a regional train from Vernazza to Levanto, while in Vernazza... but what I am REALLY worried about is this:

Can I easily book a train ticket from Ventimiglia to Nice, directly from the Ventimiglia station, on the day of travel?

The only option for buying the tickets online in advance from SNCF are to print the tickets from a machine (which they say are only available at stations in France, so I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the Ventimiglia station in Italy - so not a good option to select), or to have them mailed to me where I live in Canada (other advice on the forum suggests this is not a good idea with missing packages... and they also tack on extra fees). (For some reason, the online ticket printing is not offered for that route)

So if I can easily purchase the tickets while there, I'll save myself the worry and bother right now. Is this possible, and if so, does the route sell out (would we be stranded there without advance tickets, or risk having to wait a long time for an available train)?

If anyone knows, I would be grateful!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,735 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Sydenynick is correct that anyone with a passport and a Schengen Visa will have no problems at all.

However there are at present major political problems between France and Italy, both locally and at the highest possible level, about the border at Ventimiglia. Many north African refugees/economic migrants have taken boats to Lampedusa or Sicily.. Of these, many, primarily Tunisian, who like many Tunisians speak some French and no Italian, are now trying to cross from Italy into France. Some have no documentation, others have temporary residence permits for Italy which the French do not recognise. The French poiice are currently active on both sides of the border and on trains. And they stopped all trains between Ventimiglia and Menton for four hours on Sunday because of what they termed a public order threat from French demonstrators accompanying and supporting the refugees..

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Just a (late) follow-up to my original message:

Perilizia: thank you so much for the information and reassurance - and the schedules! This really helps to put me at ease that we'll be fine.

Stokleyjames: I will definitely let you know how it works out. We're back at the end of May, so I'll post to let you know :)

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

I have had the same problem in trying to book from Cinque Terre to Nice. I'm glad to hear it will be easy enough to get a ticket from Ventimiglia to Nice once in Italy. BTW keparka it's sounds like we'll be in the same areas at the same time. :)

14. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 pm, October 23, 2012