We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Which Vernazza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

I've been able to successfully book all legs of an upcoming trip through Europe (in May 2011) - EXCEPT for train tickets from where we are staying in Vernazza, to our next destination in Nice (France).

The best I was able to purchase on the TrenItalia website was a Levanto-Ventimiglia trip. I am also hoping that it will be easy to purchase a regional train from Vernazza to Levanto, while in Vernazza... but what I am REALLY worried about is this:

Can I easily book a train ticket from Ventimiglia to Nice, directly from the Ventimiglia station, on the day of travel?

The only option for buying the tickets online in advance from SNCF are to print the tickets from a machine (which they say are only available at stations in France, so I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the Ventimiglia station in Italy - so not a good option to select), or to have them mailed to me where I live in Canada (other advice on the forum suggests this is not a good idea with missing packages... and they also tack on extra fees). (For some reason, the online ticket printing is not offered for that route)

So if I can easily purchase the tickets while there, I'll save myself the worry and bother right now. Is this possible, and if so, does the route sell out (would we be stranded there without advance tickets, or risk having to wait a long time for an available train)?

If anyone knows, I would be grateful!

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
812 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

The trains seem very frequent, so I doubt there'll be a problem with seats selling out (I suspect that you can't reserve a seat on local trains anyway).

If you can't buy in advance online, then you could go into a Trenitalia agent and make a booking there. Or just buy it when you arrive in Ventimiglia.

Don't worry!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Trains from Ventimiglia to Nice have no reserved seats and cannot sell out.

You should be able to buy this ticket at the booking offices in Monterosso or Levanto (not in Vernazza). The ticket is OK for any train - just make sure to validate it in Ventimiglia.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Thanks so much to both for your replies... it's a relief to know I am able to purchase it in person - I definitely won't go to the trouble of paying extra and having the tickets couriered to me in that case (it seems both TGV and RailEurope will, but the prices/delivery are much higher than regular fare). I'll be sure to purchase in Levanto and validate in Ventimiglia as suggested.

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Did this work out for you? We are going from Monterosso to Nice in June and I am encountering the same problem. However, we can get from Monterosso to Ventimiglia easily enough using the Trenitalia site. I have learned that Rail Europe is much pricier than booking with the individual country sites, so I do not want to try to put something together using Rail Europe. I would welcome your input.

Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

I should have said, please let me know how this works out for you, since you are going in May. Thank you.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Just to show you many trains there are from Ventimiglia to Nice, here is the full timetable …ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH04-Mande…

A €6.70 ticket for this journey bought in Italy is valid for two months on any train until stamped in a validation machine before travel.

Suwon, South Korea
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Hi,

I'm planning for a trip to Nice during the upcoming Easter weekend. I'm staying in Milan and I have booked the Milan-Ventimiglia-Milan train using the trainitalia website.

What I would like to clarify are -->

1) Can I buy the ticket for the Ventimiglia - Nice journey, once I reach Ventimiglia station? Even better, can I buy it in Milan only?

2) Is it easy to get the Nice - Ventimiglia ticket at Nice station on the return leg of the journey?

Would look forward to some valuable inputs.

Regards,

Leo

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

You can buy the tickets for both directions in either Milan or Ventimiglia. Or, if you want, you can buy the return ticket in Nice from a ticket machine or the booking office. These trains have no reserved seats and cannot sell out.

The tickets are valid on any train but must be time/date stamped in a machine at a station before use: in Milan, Ventimiglia or Nice as appropriate.

Don't forget your passport, as there are more checks on the cross-border trains than usual, because of north African refugees..

Suwon, South Korea
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

Thanks a lot for the informations. And specially mentioning the passport factor. Just to clarify, I hold an Indian Passport and have a valid Schengen VISA (Issued by Italy). I hope that I wouldn't have any issue in crossing the border in wake of the recent relations between France and Italy?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice (from Vernazza)

I don't know of any problems between France and Italy. If you have a Schengen visa, you are allowed to be in any Schengen country.