We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

London
1 post
Save Topic
Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

We’re flying into Genoa and planning on taking the train to Vernazza for a weeks stay but I just had a couple of questions….

1. Which station in Genoa should we get the train from? I noticed on trenitalia.com that there is Genoa Piazza Principe, Genova Nervi, and Genova Brignole.

2. Is there a bus from the airport to the train station, and if so how much is it and how long does it take?

3. How much would the train be from Genoa to Vernazza? Sadly it looks like we can’t buy them on line before we go.

4. Does anyone have a web link to a Cinque Terre train timetable?

Any other must see and must do tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help!!

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,221 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

Hi ceb,

1)Genova Piazza Principe is the main station and also where the bus from the airport goes.

2) Airport to P.za Principe station €4 and 20min.

airport.genova.it/pagine/mezzipubblici.asp…

3) Train to Vernazza €4.80 (regional train). Just buy the tickets at the station when you arrive.

4) Webpage below gives you timetables and prices:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Vernazza
Vernazza
3,221 Reviews
Vernazza, Italy
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

Hi,

this has confused me, i hope this doesn't sound stupid.

So to get to any of the villages of Cinque Terre, a train has to be taken from Piazza Principe and not Brignole?

I can't remember which website I got this impression from but I thought that from Cristoforo Colombo airport in Genoa, we take a Volabus 100 to Piazza verde which is just opposite Stazione Brignole from which we take a train to Monterosso where we further switch to a regional train to get to any of the 5 villages of CT?

Please correct me if i'm wrong! Planning to take a trip to CT this coming August for the first time so it's all rather unclear (or it's just pregnancy turning my brain to mush, i don't know..!)

Thanks so much!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

Sal73 has given you the correct information. The link he gave you (airport.genova.it/pagine/mezzipubblici.asp) goes directly to a diagram of the bus route as well as the times of the buses. The bus terminates at Piazza Principe train station, where you will catch your train.

All trains from Genova Piazza Principe towards the Cinque Terre will also stop a few minute later at Genova Brignole, which is the other main station in Genoa.

Yes, you will probably have to change trains before getting to the Cinque Terre, unless you are going to Monterosso. But there are some through trains (slow ones!) and at other times you may have to change at Sestri Levante. See the link to the trenitalia site provided by Sal73. That site will give you the times and the changes (for these click on 'details' when you've got your times) for the time of day you want to travel.

If you find the trenitalia site difficult to use (some people do), then try reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en… which is quicker and easier but won't give you the (very cheap compared to UK) prices.

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Sestri Levante
Sestri Levante
Italian Riviera, Italy
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

Hey peanut49 I would believe Perilizia, she's the local ;-)

Don't worry, either from P.za principe or Brignole (the two stations are on the same line) you can take trains for the CT, many are direct, depending on time and destination. Average journey 2 hours.

Once you get there if you are not sure just ask the locals, Italians are always happy to give directions and it would help you to learn to parlare italiano ;-).

Where are you going? and when?

Ciao

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

oh gosh, thank you sal73x and perilizia! this has cleared it up for me tremendously..! And yes, I'm one of those who can't wrap their brains around the trenitalia website haha..!

We were planning to go beginning of august but have decided instead to go 21-24aug to take advantage of a public holiday here (It will probably still be very crowded right?). Initially, Arpaiu was where we wanted to stay judging by the reviews and price but after looking at a casa cinque terre, we're hoping to go there instead (plus they have cooking classes and fishing! rather expensive tho.. hmm) in Manarola.

My main aim is to get sun and sea and goooood food! xD I've read on these forums that most, if not all the places to eat are great on CT! I have no clue how much to budget for food though, if anyone's got an inkling that'd be great...

Excitement!!!

peanut

Mentioned in this post
Arpaiu
Arpaiu
259 Reviews
Manarola, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

sob..

all the rooms at a casa cinque terre in Manarola are fully booked for the dates we want...! :( have to keep looking.. what a shame, Claudio is so jovial over the phone would have loved to stay at his place..

Mentioned in this post
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

Does anyone know if the train to Riomaggiore from Genoa is a senic trip? I know between the 5 villages much of it is in tunnels, is the rest of the train trip thorugh tunnels too, or will we get to see the views for mst of it?

Thanks

Vickie

Mentioned in this post
Riomaggiore
Riomaggiore
Cinque Terre, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
nsolga
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

after taking the volabus from Genoa airport to piazza principe, which is the best (easiest) train to arrive in Monterosso?

Take a regional train that is direct with no changes?

Take a train with changes?

Also what is the difference between Piazza Principe and Piazza Principe Sotterranea?

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

Best/easiest is up to you and may depend on the time of day - not changing trains is easier in one way, but getting there quicker (which can sometimes happen if you change trains) is better in another way!

Sotteranea means Underground - this is an underground station which is located below the main above-ground station at Piazza Principe.

nsolga
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Genoa to Cinque Terre

Thanks Perilizia!

When the trains from Piazza Principe stop at the stations along the way to Cinque Terre, how do I know where to change or when I reach my final destination (Monterosso)?

Does it announce the name or have a sign on board the train?

Or, do you just have to watch to see signs outside of the train?

Also - is there a Tourist Information booth at Piazza Principe that can help me locate the correct track to get on the train?

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Get answers to your questions about Vernazza