We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

Should I take the train route thru Milan or Florence?

I need to catch a cruise in Venice so we need to be there by 3pm.

And which station in Venice works best for getting on the ship?

I have little experience on trains - do I need to plan for extra leeway time between stops or can I rely on each train being on time and my ability to transfer to the next with no difficulty.

We are traveling in September.

Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,388 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

Trains Vernazza to Venezia www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en Enter time 07.00 for current train schedule.

Travelling on regional trains, validate your train ticket before boarding in the validation box.

Edited: 1:28 am, March 13, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

Going via Milan has fewer changes of train Monterosso and Milan), and most of the journey will be on trains that have seat reservations. Via Florence, there are more changes (usually La Spezia, Pisa and Florence) and the trains to Florence are mostly Regionale with no reserved seats.

Get off at Venezia Mestre station, on the mainland, and take a land taxi to your ship.

If a train runs late and you miss a connection, Trenitalia will change your reservation to put you on the next train. Aim to get to Mestre in plenty of time.

Bookings for September will open in May.

Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

It shows a 7 min transfer time from La spezia to Pisa train. Is that enough time? Or will I miss my train?

Thanks for the info!

Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

Should I be worried about not having a reserved seat? Would it be a safer bet to go via Milan? I don't see The option to travel via Milan on the trenitalia website. Thanks for the info on how to get to the cruise ship from the train station!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

La Spezia station is not large, and 7 minutes should be fine. The Trenitalia web site does not give impossible connections.

It is unlikely that you will have to stand on the unreserved trains, unless you are travelling in August.

The trains via Milan show up if you look for trains from Monterosso to Venice. If you want to travel via Milan, book the journey from Monterosso in advance to take advantage of the advance purchase discounts. The local train from Vernazza to Monterosso has no discounts, so you can purchase when you get to Vernazza. This local ticket must be validated by time-stamping it in a machine at the station before you get on the train.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,672 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

I wouldn't want a seven minute connection at the start of this journey. Sure, it'd be fine if your train arrives on time, but what if it's a few minutes late?

Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

I just looked at train station schedule for September 16 and it looks like the time I need to go has a red slash thru it? Does that mean they are sold out? I'm trying to go Monterroso to Venezia Mestre.

The later trains look like I can purchase but they arrive too late. Help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

Trains cannot possibly be sold out now for travel in September. The red slash means that, for some reason, tickets for that train are not yet on sale.

Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

Ok. I'll breathe and keep watching. Thanks!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,672 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from vernazza to Venice?

Direct trains from Montererosso to Milano Centrale are not yet on sale for dates past September 9.

Get answers to your questions about Vernazza