We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

Hello,

Will be arriving in Milan at 10.10am on a Monday in May.

Am looking for the best train connection to Riomaggiore. Realize will have to change, but looking for the quickest route.

Thanking you in advance

Irene

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,273 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

Train schedule Malpensa Aeroporto to Riomaggiore

www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

I am also interested in taking the train from Milan to a town in Cinque Terre. Why is it not possible to book this trip online (via the trenitalia webpage?) Please help.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

Thank you.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

You have to put in the name of the town you want to go to, not just "Cinque Terre". I just did that, and found the timetable, however it is still very confusing.

Turin
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

If you tell what's confusing here are many trenitalia experts that can help you.

Edited: 6:16 am, April 06, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

You can book most connections from Malpensa Aeroporto to a specific Cinque Terre station on http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html without any problems. However, tickets must be collected from a multilingual ticket machine at the airport train station, and it is a very bad idea to buy tickets in advance when arriving by plane, as a delayed flight could make your train tickets worthless.

On http://www.trenitalia.com (a different trenitalia interface) you cannot currently buy tickets from Malpensa Aeroporto station to the Cinque Terre as this interface is not currently enabled to sell online tickets for trains from the airport to Milano Centrale, which are operated by Trenord not Trenitalia.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

Ok..Thank you.

So, once I am at the airport I will be able to buy tickets all the way through, or just to Cintrale, and then another to Riomaggiore.

I see various trains on the website. To arrive at Riomaggiore, I need to go through either Genoa or La Spezia. I cant see which is the easiest/fastest. The website shows train changes, but cant figure out where.

I dont mind which town I go through, as long as I am on the best connection. I understand the train within Cinque Terre is a regional one. I am just looking for the most efficient way to reach one of the starting points of CT.

Thank You

8. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:44 pm, April 06, 2013
Edited: 5:44 pm, April 06, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

You can buy tickets at the Airport to Riomaggiore.

If using http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html for trains from Malpensa Aeroporto to Riomaggiore and if you don't understand the abbreviations for the changes, simply select the connection of interest using the button at the right, and click 'Details by Selection'

Or use http://www.trenitalia.com/ in which each train is listed separately.

You need to go through Genoa whatever time you depart, but not necessarily to change trains there. You only go to la Spezia if changing trains there - most connections require a change beforehand. The most efficient place to change trains depends on your departure time, and the websites show this for each departure time.

If you are looking for the most efficient way to the Cinque Terre rather than to Riomaggiore, go to Monterosso instead which has direct trains from Milan.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Milan Malpense Airport to Riomaggiore.

"If you are looking for the most efficient way to the Cinque Terre rather than to Riomaggiore, go to Monterosso instead which has direct trains from Milan:.

Arrgh...that's what I wanted to know. Thank you very much. From Monterosso we catch the regional train to Riomaggiore?

Thank you so much.

Get answers to your questions about Riomaggiore