We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riomaggiore train to Nice

Which Riomaggiore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yamba, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Riomaggiore train to Nice

My husband and I are staying in Riomaggiore for 3 days in April and plan to travel to Nice after this. Can I be advised as to the easiest way to get there by train? The cross border issues with the train systrems is a little confusing. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,330 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

Use the Italian train operator's web site to look for journeys from Riomaggiore to Ventimiglia. For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets usually go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer. See www.lefrecce.com

From Ventimiglia, you take a local French train to Nice. These trains run every 30 minutes and cost €7. There is no point in booking in advance: there are no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts.

Yamba, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

Thanks so much.

Yamba, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

Nick

Just having a look and tried to book. Alas ... the following message for Riomaggiore to Ventimiglia:

This trip is not available for online booking. To book this trip, our Contact Center is available at 1-800-622-8600 between 9:00am - 7:30pm weekdays, Eastern Time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,330 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

That is an American phone number: you are doing something wrong or the site has changed.

The first part of the journey is probably on a local (Regionale) train which, like the French train, has no seat reservations and no discounts. try booking just the part of the journey that is on InterCity or Frecce trains.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

Yes. I just tried a dummy booking and it even gave me the sector on the regional train. Btw fares are very cheap in April from what I can see.

Where are you looking? You should be on "www.trenitalia.com". I've never seen trenitalia reply in that way.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

Despite the website address given in reply 1, the OP was using the Rail Europe website.

Do not use Rail Europe - it never provides online bookings from Riomaggiore to Nice, and when it does provide online bookings for Italy, it is usually expensive and does not usually show all trains.

To get English versions of the websites advised in replies one and five, you must click the British flag at the top of the home page.

Edited: 7:56 am, January 14, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

Ah - the website address given in reply 1 no longer works. Use http://www.trenitalia.com/ (or http://www.lefrecce.it/ )

riomaggiore
Level Contributor
144 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

first of all the web site is : www.trenitalia.com because this train a regional train, it sometimes will not see you a ticket on line. You can buy it at the train station in Riomaggiore or Monterosso or La Spezia. It is easy to change train in Ventimiglia, it isn't big station. trekguyd for any questions in Cinque Terre

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

You cannot buy tickets in Riomaggiore for those connections to Ventimiglia which use an InterCity trains with reserved seats for part of the journey - which is most of them. You must buy these online or at a staffed station booking office e.g. in Monterosso or la Spezia, or from special ticket machines which exist in la Spezia but not in Monterosso or Riomaggiore where the machines sell only Regional tickets.

You can buy tickets for connections entirely by Regional trains online, but only within one week of travel. But don't bother - buy these tickets in Riomaggiore - there are no advance reductions and no reserved seats on these trains.

10. Re: Riomaggiore train to Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 24, 2014