We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

i am looking to spend 5 nites in the CT area....not sure if i should base myself at the beginning, middle or end of the area to allow myself to see it all and, if time permits, maybe even travel into france...i eventually need to get back to rome for my trip back to the states....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

Levanto. Five days is a lot for CT. Levanto is a real Italian town with easy access by boat or train to CT. It is interesting on its own, and you can easily visit Portovenere and Lerici by boat, or Camogli or Chiavari by train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

thank you. and would you happen to know how long the trip from rome to levanto is by train? would it pay to base myself in genoa and include a train ride into france?

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

I think the train from Rome to CT after connections is about 3 hours each way. From Genoa about half maybe.

United States
Level Contributor
9,770 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

Rome to Monterosso varies but is between ~4 h and ~4h 30m with changes. You can look up exact schedules to the other villages using the train web site, the specific village name, and a date within the next 7 days.

www.fsitaliane.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

TAB

JAX Beach
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

How does Levanto compare to Santa Margherita? Especially for a single male wanting to hang out, socialize and dine.

Thanks

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

If you are considering October, as in your earlier posting, Levanto will be very quite it being mainly a family type resort. SML is very much an up market resort with a good night life in the season and a much wider selection of bars however October is moving out of the tourist season.

The main advantage of Levanto is it easy access to the CT villages and a wide selection of accommodation .

Edited: 2:06 pm, June 02, 2012
JAX Beach
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

Thanks so much.

Yes, my dates are locked; oct 10 to nov 7.

From your response, can I assume that you feel that one cant go wrong staying in Santa Margherita? Especially if single?

Abruzzese

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

I think it is your best bet for that area particularly so late in the season.I stayed in Sestri Levante last year in June, it quite a big resort with mainly Italian families quite a lot larger than Levanto. A couple in our group had spent a week a few years earlier in SML and said it had a lot more night life than Sestri which I must admit bar wise was very quite.

Edited: 2:47 pm, June 02, 2012
9. Re: where should i base myself while staying 5 nites in CT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Riomaggiore