We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
135 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

We will be staying in Monterosso al Mare next October and need to get to the Malpensa Airport on the same day. What is the best train to take with the fewest transfers? Trentalia site is confusing to me. Thanks for any help.

Turin
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

1) Go on trenitalia.com

2) Click on the English flag in the upper right corner of the page

3) Write Monterosso in the field From

4) Write Malpensa Aeroporto in the field to

5) Write the day you want to depart using the european format DD-MM-YYYY

6) Write an hour, if you want to see all trains put 7

7) Click on search.

Discover that:

1) You'll have to change at least once in Milan Central

2) On weekdays the first direct train from Monterosso to Milan Central after 7 AM leaves at 10:55 and arrives at 13:50 . This train is the Intercity #35566 .

Edited: 9:56 am, December 16, 2013
Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
135 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

Thanks for the great information. Since we will also be taking a train from Basel, Switzerland to Vercelli, Italy, would it make sense to get a railpass instead of separate tickets. AND, can we use a railpass for the shorter innercity train trips from airports to hotel locations, or are they separate train companies?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,669 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

this is risky to attempt on the day of a flight especially since both Malpensa and Monterosso involve connections and Monterossa has infrequent distance trains. you need to be in Milan the night before a high stakes flight back to the states. in my years of travel, I have had a high speed train come in 5 hours late on a 3.5 hour trip causing many passengers to miss flights out of Paris. I have encountered train strikes. I have had a tram break down on the way to the train station where I needed to catch the Thalys. and countless air flights have come in anywhere from an hour to 5 hours late. if you miss a flight, you lose the value of the ticket and have to buy a very expensive walk up one way ticket. always be int he town of departure the night before a high stakes flight

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,867 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

Keep in mind too, that if your flight from Malpensa is back to the U.S., you need to be at the airport 3 hours pre-flight time - sounds dramatic but most times it is 100% necessary these days - so, do factor that in; I always spend the night in the city from which I am flying back to NYC - missing that flight would cost far too much money. As much as I dislike Milan, I always bite the bullet and come in the evening before (as late as possible) get a room near Milano Centrale and spend the night.

Just something to consider - because, as mentioned, trains can (do) be delayed; I have been on many, over the years, that have been delayed - some for less than 1/2 hour, some for many hours. Stuff happens that you cannot always predict.

Turin
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

I doubt that a 2 countries pass would pay off in your case, but I don't know much about them.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

If you want to see all trains from Monterosso on the Trenitalia website, enter your 'hour' of departure as '5' not '7'. The first direct train from Monterosso to Milano Centrale leaves at 05.19.

Note that booking starts four months in advance of travel and is cheapest then. October train times will not be online until June so use a current date for planning.

Edited: 2:01 pm, December 16, 2013
Nebraska, USA
Level Contributor
135 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

Thank you so much for your detailed information. I won't be flying out of Milan until the day after my train ride from Monterosso. The reason I said I needed to be at the Malpensa airport is because that is the only place my hotel will pick me up with their complimentary ride to the hotel. I've flown out of Milan before and always stay at a nearby hotel the night before. But thank you so much for your concern.

8. Re: Train from Monterosso al Mare to Malpensa Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare